• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case?

gigiscwboy

Reaction score
City, State
La Vista Ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Exp XLT & 66 F 100 swb
We have a 92 4d XLT with a 5speed and the electric operated transfer case. I want to change it a manual T-case rather than keep replacing the motors. The clutch has decided to have issues so while I've got it apart I might as well change the T-case will a case from a Bronco 2 work in an Explorer, this truck is my wifes daily driver and doesn't see much off road use. Thanks :exp:

I don't know if BII's ever came with the BW 13-54 t-case. I think they are all 13-50's. Technically, I believe the 13-50 will bolt up and "fit," but the 13-54 is built to be stronger than the 13-50. I would find out if anyone has put a 13-50 into their Explorer and find out how it held up. The Explorer is ~1000 lbs (~30%) heavier than a BII with a larger engine (4.0 L vs. 2.9 L). I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'd just verify that the 13-50 will hold up to an Explorer.

the 1350 t case from a 2.9L equipped Bronco II will bolt into the Explorer.
The difference between the two cases is the output yoke for the front driveshaft.
You will have to swap front driveshafts as well. Personally I would keep the 1354 case and the Explorer style driveshaft.
The shift motor can be "rebuilt" to function like new again.
Or you can convert to a manual 1354 case from an Explorer, can be tricky to locate, but they are out there.....

Back