transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transfer case

Douce_8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ford explorer XLT
I have a 95 ford explorer and the transfer case is bad in it and im wondering if the transfer case out of a 94 will work or does it have to be from 95.Just wondering if the 94 will work because i have a friend who has one that was recently rebuit,but i just want to know if it is any good to me before i get it.Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assuming we're talking about electronically shifted transfer cases (not manual shift), then it will bolt up to the vehicle but the electronics wont work -- the two transfer cases are mechanically (and therefore electronically) different inside.

so im guessing from the reply it will not work then,it will bolt up but because it is electronically controlled it wont shift it properly?I dont know much about it so im just curious.

so im guessing from the reply it will not work then,it will bolt up but because it is electronically controlled it wont shift it properly?I dont know much about it so im just curious.
Yeah thats right, it will bolt up and you'll be able to drive your vehicle but thats about it -- you wont be able to shift it or anything. And you'll also get blinking lights on the dash because the vehicle will think the transfer case is missing (since the electronics are incompatible).

so i have just a few more questions,what other transfer cases will fit or does it have to be from another 95 ford explorer?or do other years work?

so i have just a few more questions,what other transfer cases will fit or does it have to be from another 95 ford explorer?or do other years work?

I own a '95. I have not had an issue yet with the TC, but the '95 is diff than any other year EX. It is the first yr in the 2nd gen. It is a cross breed *******. The electronics are obdI. Like a 1st gen, but...it also has some obdII, This year confuses a lot of people. I would think any year same type TC from a 2nd gen (95-01) would work, but some things have also changed after '97. To play it safe I would look for a TC from '95 to '97.

98+ has a different front output. 97 or 98+ (I forget which) also doesn't have the speedo sensor in the t-case.

98+ has a different front output. 97 or 98+ (I forget which) also doesn't have the speedo sensor in the t-case.

I'm pretty sure it was '98. My late 97-model year has the VSS on the t-case tailshaft.

but I guess it depends on which case you currently have?

For giggles, I went to car-part.com
for 95, it lists both the BW1354 and BW4405 as applications for the '95.

How true this is, I don't know.

edit: mid-97 model year they switched to the GKN CV joint on the front output. The front diff pinion angle also changed at this time.
You would definately need something from an early-97 model year, as the very latest.

Back