Transmission 645?

AdamsGuitar

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Eddie Bauer
Well guys, just slightly over a year after having the tranny rebuilt in my 95, it got rearended. After that, it clunked every once in awhile on the way to the dealership to get the body work done. They drove it and said it was OK, but to bring it back if the problem persisted.

Over the weekend, the O/D Off light started blinking (a sure sign of tranny trouble) and the shifts were jerky, especially when slowing down (such as downshifts when coasting to a stop). I took it in on Monday morning, then spoke with the assistant service manager (my friend's father, whose been handling the whole thing). He said that the guy got the light to turn off, and that it drove fine after that. He said the code they pulled was 645, which I later looked up as "First Gear Failure" or "Incorrect Gear Ratio - First Gear". He says to try it like this and bring it back if it acts up again before they tear into the transmission.

Is it possible that it was a simple fix that they performed and my worries are over, or is this likely the start of the death of the second tranny for my truck?

Sounds like the death of your second tranny. Is the other guy's insurance going to pay to fix it?

Oh, you'd better believe they will ;)

And I'm sure my friend's dad will go to bat for me. I am going to ask him about the code (without letting him know I know what it means) today and see what he has to say?

Back