• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Cooler Upgrade

short1

Reaction score
City, State
Kenosha, Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
So, every june my wife and I take a trip to georgia from wisconsin to visit family, last year was the first year with the 06 explorer and I noticed going through the mountains for a couple hours, it started getting sluggish on acceleration and shifting. I assume it was just getting hot from all the work. Well, june is coming again and I'd like to upgrade the trans cooler, even if just adding another one to keep the temps down. What's your thoughts on this? Any suggestions for brand or size or anything?
thanks

short

It's a v6 if that matters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered a B&M 70268 for my V8 Ex.... but I do some towing. I will run this inline with the radiator's trans cooler, so both provide cooling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIGE9G

If your V6 has the factory tow package, you might already have an external trans cooler..

Yea it has the tow package. An extra cooler can't hurt though right?
Just curious, where do you plan on putting the b&m cooler when you install it?
Thanks

Yea it has the tow package. An extra cooler can't hurt though right?
Just curious, where do you plan on putting the b&m cooler when you install it?
Thanks

I will probably mount it in front of the radiator.

IMHO - Two dedicated coolers would just put you at more risk of having a leak somewhere.

Wait...the V6 had a "tow package"?

Wait...the V6 had a "tow package"?

Um, yeah... was an extremely popular factory option for V6's. I beleive it included a lower ratio rear-end gearing, class 3 or 4 hitch and trans cooler.

I will probably mount it in front of the radiator.

IMHO - Two dedicated coolers would just put you at more risk of having a leak somewhere.

I had a B&M put on my 1997 Explorer in 1998 in that same location. I have towed my boat all over the Western US with no leaks or problems with it to date. The two coolers work great for heavy / long tows.

I had a B&M put on my 1997 Explorer in 1998 in that same location. I have towed my boat all over the Western US with no leaks or problems with it to date. The two coolers work great for heavy / long tows.
I want to add an additional cooler to my '99 Explorer Sport V6SOHC.
The 5R55E Transmission isn't the best Ford ever put out.
I'd like to do some remote camping and I think an extra cooler would be a big help.

I want to add an additional cooler to my '99 Explorer Sport V6SOHC.
The 5R55E Transmission isn't the best Ford ever put out.
I'd like to do some remote camping and I think an extra cooler would be a big help.
i too second the need for a bigger/addl cooler. when well maintained, the 5r55e can last for ages. i have 320k on my original just fluid and filter. i think the sonnax/transgo upgrades are also good when the time comes, as the 5r imo is a good transmission. maybe its no 6r80, but they can hold their own imo. i have a hayden plate and fin biggest size iirc in mine. seems to keep temps cool haventnnoticed spiking yet. however, maybe the b&ms are better, as ive read that elsewhere too.

Silly question but have you given the trans a good service? I have towed about 5500lbs with mine on 6% grade and even with over 200k miles, it ran like a champ.

I wonder if there is something else wrong here?

Silly question but have you given the trans a good service? I have towed about 5500lbs with mine on 6% grade and even with over 200k miles, it ran like a champ.

…. There is a ten year gap in this thread.

Drive safe and have fun!

…. There is a ten year gap in this thread.
Then I guess that trans is really due for some help!

Thanks for pointing that out. I have found that some of the stuff that is being pointed out as recent threads are not always recent. I guess I need to actually pay attention some.

changing fluid and filter goes a long way on these. my X tows maybe 3500-4k up hills etc, at 320 still runs good ahifts good no flare. big cooler and fluid changes will go a lonn way, along with some luck ;)

Back