Upgrading Fact. Trans cooler? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading Fact. Trans cooler?

Sounds like an extreame pro tool, how do's your AM gauge corralate?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wpurple said:
I added an additional one because I tow, but even before adding one, monitoring the tranny temp via a OBD-II scanner, the fluid never went above 190 (even while towing and stuck in stop and go traffic)

You do want the tranny to get up to temp to keep condensation down.

190 in the return line coming from the radiator back to the trans sounds right. The radiator thermostat is set to 195, and the coolant in there will be right around that, so 190 in the return line doesn't sound out of line.

But, again, you can't over-cool the trans fluid (unless you hooked up a refrigeration system and got it to gel the fluid)

-Joe

spindlecone said:
Sounds like an extreame pro tool, how do's your AM gauge corralate?
Right on the money :)

I added a second factory cooler from the parts truck, just cause im an idiot driver. Ive had the transmission in since late march and shes already screwed again..

XLT004.jpg

i did what he did above and added a secondary cooler along side the stock one, and i also added in a Auxilary filter kit from Summit as long as i was running new hose.

how much extra tranny fluid would you need to pour in after adding a cooler and filter about a quart?

Im not too sure, i would think about that for just the new cooler, just dont overfill.

after i put on my new cooler and filter it was roughly over a quart.

if you do over fill, its no big deal just remove the filter and dump some out.

yeah exactly.. i ran with too much fluid for a bit, i think its done some damage..

spindlecone said:
Thx Monmix
Honestly did not thing it was with The 5R55E tranny in real time constant readout

Does anyone know how to tie into the existing tranny temp sensor and route it to a guage? I was going to add a sensor but if it's already there, why not use it?

I spent a half hour going through my Haynes manual (pretty poor book IMO) and can't find any reference to the sensor anywhere.

Back