Transmission died due to 22" wheels? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission died due to 22" wheels?

265/35/r22

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

265/35/r22

Using an online tire calculator

stock 235/60/16 is 29" high
your tire 265/35/22 is 29.3

so I dont think the tires or wheels are your problem
I think its the burnouts too LOL

if it is the tires, its the weight, you would be surprised if u had to lift a stock one off and put one of the 22s back onto it... i bet its at least 35-45 lbs difference

Tire/wheel weight will affect the wheel bearings more than the transmission as the tires are not at all supported by the transmission. The only time it would matter is during quick accelerations as the heavier tires is more rotational inertia. However, thats probably compared to maybe one person riding in the vehicle. There are plenty of people on the forum that push bigger and heavier tire/wheel combos.

yea, i beat on that thing more than you guys could understand...

heed my warning: the o/d light flashing really does mean trouble so get it looked at ASAP!!

my o/d light started flashing and 3 days later my tranny grenaded

so pretty much what you guys are saying is that if i dont beat the piss outta the thing, my tranny wont blow cause of my rims correct?

Yeah just drive it normally -- accelerate like a normal person would. If you want to play with the skinny pedal, then take it to the track or the strip -- its 10 times more fun there.

In addition, dont forget you have an 02 which is the first year the 3rd gen came out (along with the independent rear suspension)-- the 02s and the 03's are prone to rear differential problems so I'd baby it.

Yeah just drive it normally -- accelerate like a normal person would. If you want to play with the skinny pedal, then take it to the track or the strip -- its 10 times more fun there.

In addition, dont forget you have an 02 which is the first year the 3rd gen came out (along with the independent rear suspension)-- the 02s and the 03's are prone to rear differential problems so I'd baby it.

yea theres a little slack in my rear diff :(

FYI - I have 305/40/22 wheels and tires on my X, overall diameter of 31.6" installed at 48,000 miles and still on it today - 122,300 miles. Had 295/45/20's from 3400 miles up to 48000 so this vehicle has virtually never been driven with the stock 29.5" tire height. Transmission is original, changed fluid every 30k with Amsoil. Only transmission related problem Ever was random stalling in neutral fixed by replacing the solenoid pack with ford's rev 5 version as noted by the E on the end of the part number. Side note - That solenoid pack with its updated (deeper) fluid channels actually improves shifting as well. Feels like new at 122k! I did program the PCM for the larger tire diameter with my SCT X3.

x07.jpg

Back