Transmission died due to 22" wheels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission died due to 22" wheels?

m8r8j

Reaction score
City, State
ipswich, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xls, 4.0
i blew my tranny... and i just got a new one put in. the ford dealer insists that my 22" wheels made my tranny blow... is there any way that these rims can hurt the tranny at all? do i need to program the ecu for 22s? let me know ASAP if there is anytrhing i need to do...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rear gear ther differentials is about the only thing u can do how many miles were on it

If the overall circumference is the same or close to a factory wheel I cant see it being much of a problem.

wouldn't the overall circumference be much larger, since the wheel diameter was made larger?

wouldn't the overall circumference be much larger, since the wheel diameter was made larger?

No.
if you make the rim larger, you usually put a lower profile tire on to keep the height of the tire close to stock so your speedo is still accurate.

a 22" rim with tire that has a 4" profile = total height of 30"
is the same as a 18" rim with a tire that has a 6" profile has a height of 30"

The only difference I see with larger rims is the difference in unsprung weight.
The larger rims are likely a bit heavier than stock rims and tires.

gotcha, i thought overall didn't include tires, ive updated my vocab :)

gotcha, i thought overall didn't include tires, ive updated my vocab :)

I learned my lesson when I was in high school...
I wanted a 5.0 mustang so bad... had all these plans Id do if I ever got one including putting tiny tires on the back so I could go faster...

Until a classmate put me in my place that a smaller tire would make me slower.
At the time I couldn't get my head around the idea until I though of a funny car drag racer and the huge wheels they have on the back...

everyone look at this...

anyone had tranny problems with 22 inch rims?
is there anything i need to do to run 22s?
will they blow my transmission?

i blew my tranny at 76k miles... ford insisted it was my 22s. warranty issued me a ford certified rebuilt tranny...

they PROMISED me if i put the rims back on my tranny would blow again.

wat do u guys think???

nobody really answered me, they just had a conversation in my thread.

and secondly, you should be concerned as well with your oversized tires

Thanks for the heads up... I'll make out alright. ;)

Threads merged and thread renamed to something more descriptive of the problem.

m8r8j -- please try not to start new threads on the same problem. And as for nobody answering your question, Curtis pretty much hit the nail dead on with replies #3 and #5.

Just noticing the video IZwack just bumped up to the top... are you doing many "burnouts" with your 22's... it sounds like you're quite hard on your truck to start with, I'd say your tranny problems probably don't have much to do with your new rims.

haha... IZwack beat me to it... ;)

Just noticing the video IZwack just bumped up to the top... are you doing many "burnouts" with your 22's... it sounds like you're quite hard on your truck to start with, I'd say your tranny problems probably don't have much to do with your new rims.

I tend to agree with RoadBully. It sounds like your problem is related to how "you" drive your vehicle as opposed to a problem derived from 22" wheels.

Show the vids to the dealer and he might change his answer.

yea i used to beat the hell out of it...
and i took out my bwm today to be on the safe side.
the new tranny is very nice hahah

update your list of mods to say "Un-brn wire mod..."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what size tire are you running on the 22's?

Back