Transmission downshift problem

Jennifer

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hi,
Have a 97 Explorer XLT (automatic w/overdrive) with over 200,000 miles. Today driving having a whir/whine type noise from under the vehicle when the vehicle appeared to downshift. We were at highway speeds and when the RPMs hit just under 2000 had the noise. The RPMs dropped down when this happened vs reving up. On ramp manually downshifted to 2 and worked once ok, but then every time vehicle downshifted noise came back and just whined down. Like it was trying to disengage/downshift and wasn't happening. Started doing this when attempting to downshift all gears. Thought initially stuck in 4th gear, but then happened on all gears seemed. Upshifts fine. NOT a good sound. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When was the last filter/fluid change? Color of the fluid?

Downshift problem

The fluid was changed by the dealer about 5000 miles (2 months) ago. It was a partial change, no flushing, just dropped the pan. They didn't say anything regarding color. Later today after I get home from work will check the color, but got home late last night, so didn't look.

Jennifer

This sounds similar to something that happened to me in one of my old Mustangs ('67 GTA w/C5). I ended up getting the tranny rebuilt. I think the internal seals were shot. Come to think of it, I had problems upshifting, too.

I would assume they changed the filter too, sounds like the fluid change was for the worst. Alot of people I've talked to say to leave it alone when it comes to higher mileage trannys due to the clutch material being in the fluid, the new stuff washes everything down. If thats the original trans. with 200K on it I'd say you got your moneys worth, if you can afford a rebuild I'd get one now before it dies and leaves you stranded.

Back