Transmission Failure Prevention Advice Needed. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Failure Prevention Advice Needed.

1996BlkBauer

The B&M plug you linked above is the correct drain plug, if you want to add a trans temp gauge, buy 2 of them. Note that the temp sending unit must be 1/8" npt to fit in the B&M bushing. I think most Autometer electric trans temp gauges are 1/8" npt sender, but check before you buy.

Lots of debates as to where the drain should be, I put mine in the lowest point which is the bottom of the sump.

Check Summits site for gauges, Autometer Cobalt series are a nice gauge but expensive, or a digital gauge might interest you.

FYI, I have a 4R70W "steel" pan and filter in my Mustang as it has a small sump were as the stock AODE pan does not. Also have a complete set of Cobalt full sweep elec gauges in it, illumination is fantastic IMHO. And I have the trans temp sender in the side of the pan.

Also have an identical set-up in my 99X, 5r55e trans, using Autometer Z series. And a pan heater on the side of the pan for winter plug-in to preheat the fluid slightly.

With a drain plug in the pan, you can do a pan change on any schedule that you like, without mercon all over the place. Don't have to change the filter very often, but when you do, you will sure appreciate the drain plug.

I got ya, So one for the plug, and one for the sender to go into. that makes sense. it took me a second, because I am a little tired... lol.

To be honest all trans work scares me. But I want to get all this done before my Auto Trans class so that I can have a head start. Like I mentioned above, I think I will pull a pan from the junk Yard, and then look at clearances on the Explorer there, and determine where i will be placing the drain plug, and soon to be Sender plug. But to be honest I am really not sure where the fluid lies in the pan, so my sender placement, may need to have some Expert advice needed.

I wasn't really sure about what the pan was made out of, it just sort of looked like an Aluminum pan last time I was under the truck. Thanks for all the great input, making it a lot less scary, and easier to decide on things.

I got ya, So one for the plug, and one for the sender to go into. that makes sense. it took me a second, because I am a little tired... lol.

I use a single plug for my sending unit and drain. My sending unit has a connector so I can disconnect the wire (so it can spin).. I just remove the sending unit and viola, most of the fluid comes out. I am using an ISSPro full sweep (has an amplifier between the sending unit and the gauge). I like having the full sweep as my temps can really vary depending on outside temp and what I'm doing. On average though its about 70F above ambient in the pan but it can go up to about 90F above ambient when I'm working it really hard in Arizona heat.

I have my sending unit in the side of the pan since our goes rock crawling. It doesn't drain it all but I only drain it once a year at most. Otherwise it gets 1 quart replaced every engine oil change since I change the external trans filter too.

I can take some recent pics of our setup if you need it but here are some I have found that I have already posted over the years..

Old shot of the filter (not a wix) and the adapter. I now have 90 degree fittings on the top of the adapter. It is just a remote oil filter adapter that uses the PH8a Fram/motorcraft fl1a/wix 51515 filter. The one Fords have used for years.
2019361815_4dac3f1770_z.jpg

Trans filter, over the tire view by maniak_az, on Flickr

These are the gauges I use.. The left one is for Transmission pressure, the middle is transmission temp and the right one is coolant temp measures via the heater hose right after it leaves the engine.
3456993691_707d2b20fa_z.jpg

Gauges 002 by maniak_az, on Flickr

Here are the twin coolers and a fan from a geo prism/toyota corolla to try to keep the trans cool.
3454386008_0cd7b0e3aa_z.jpg

Transmission-cooler-misc 003 by maniak_az, on Flickr

I can't find a pic of the sending unit sticking out the side of the pan but its really not much to see

If there anything specific you want a shot of I can take pics of it for you.. Its easy to see everything.

~Mark

Back