Transmission failure to fully engage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission failure to fully engage

ScubaSlagle

Reaction score
City, State
Jax, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
My 2002 Explorer has almost 90,000 miles on it and the transmission seems like it does not want to fully engage. when i shift into reverse, the car will slowly backup then lurch into gear. The same thing happens when i shift into Drive. It goes from idle to about 12mph then fully engages in gear. then it studders into second and sometimes third. and it is now happing every time i come to a red light

any help on what is wrong would be nice, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Did you check the fluid level? The 5R55W transmissions have known issues with the solenoid blocks going around 60K miles. The servos also wear down their bores, and break the bands. I would recommend that you start with the fluid level. The next step would be the solenoid block. It's a good idea to flash the PCM, and install a new tune for the shifting pattern.

i had the same prob and my od off light was flashing but i disconnected the battery for an hour and it stopped apparently it was going in to some kind of safe mode (cant remeber the name) but it was to provent dammage to the tranny

That's called FMEM or "limp" mode. Disconnecting the battery will only temporarily erase the code until it comes back again.

really? that sux thought it was just some error or somthing, its been like 3 weeks and it hasent happened agian.

how long would it take before it came back?

yea every day, at least 100+ miles a day ive deff started it atleast 60 times since then

welcome

Back