Transmission filter replacement

ethan10502

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
Hello everybody,

I tried searching the forum but couldn't really find anything for it. Is changing the transmission filter hard or easy. I have a 99 sport I believe with the 5r55e trans. Thanks

D.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everybody,

I tried searching the forum but couldn't really find anything for it. Is changing the transmission filter hard or easy. I have a 99 sport I believe with the 5r55e trans. Thanks

D.
Its sorta easy, unless you have interference from the exhaust, but it still can be wiggled out I believe. The challenge is not getting a trans fluid bath. You can leave 4 bolts partially loose and siphon out the fluid, or leave two and tilt it to drain. Others will chime in.

My suggestion - A dorman pan with a drain plug. Once a year you drop the trans fluid and replace with new stuff. Filter is 1 long bolt, and could easily stay for 100K or more. Keeps the lubricating properties of the fluid up to date, this trans needs all the help it can get.

Agreed. It's easy, but be sure to remove and torque in a diagonal/opposites pattern. Double check the torque on all bolts before calling the job finished.

Also agree on installing a drain plug. Get a copper washer to seal the part.

I bought an under-bed storage container from K-Mart, and it generally catches 95% of the tranny fluid when I drop the pan. Some places also carry specialized containers for trans pan drops.

Dropping the pan once a year would be for a severe duty vehicle I would think. I have owned mine for 18 years, and only dropped the pan about 4-5 times. I recommend getting the SPX MicroFelt filter from bulkpart.com, they are much better than the simple screen filters.

Back