Transmission fluid leak help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid leak help

atphillips

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer XLT
Hi all,

I have a 1998 explorer 5.0 XLT that I recently found a transmisison fluid leak. The leak seems to be coming from the part pictured below. I wiped off all the fluid but once I start the car it starts pouring fluid from the cracks in that round housing. Can someone tell me what this is? The fluid on the lines is just from the part above dripping transmission fluid. Thanks for any help I really appreciate it.

IMG_2029.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's your starter....fluid is leaking down onto it... most likely your trans pan gasket is shot.

That's your starter....fluid is leaking down onto it... most likely your trans pan gasket is shot.
Ah...well i feel stupid. Sorry for being the dull bulb in the pack, thanks for the help.

We all slip up from time to time.... don't kick yourself....
When you / or mechanic replaces gasket (and filter while pan off) just replace naturally drained fluid...do NOT flush the entire trans out of all fluid....old fluid residue is NOW "working" with seals....don't want to disturb that with a flush.

Those lines look pretty crusty. I’d change those as well.

Don't ever feel stupid for asking questions about your Explorer. We've all been there at some time in our lives. Do spend some time familiarizing yourself with it as they aren't very economical to own if you don't learn to do some maintenance yourself. For instance, I just tackled getting my a/c back up and running with all new components. Never worked on a/c system before and wasn't about to spend $1200 -$1500 to have a shop do it. Guys on this site have all kinds of good info to share if you just ask. Good luck with your Explorer.

Good reason to change it all. Drop the pan, do the fluid and filter, then take care of those lines.

Sourcing them is hard. Maybe a pick n pull in a dry/not salty area, or you can roll your own. I had a bad kink in one of mine that I cut out and used brake line and compression fittings on. That’s an option if the rest of the lines still look really good.

I hate to be dense here but don't the starters point forward on the Explorers so that would be the engine oil pan above it? I have a feeling the fluid is weeping out of the rusted lines and not from the pan. The line would be clear of the pan and would not get dripped on directly.
Wipe it all down, (above as well) and wrap a rag on the lines. If it is soaked on the inside its the lines, if its only outside it would be from above.

I hate to be dense here but don't the starters point forward on the Explorers so that would be the engine oil pan above it? I have a feeling the fluid is weeping out of the rusted lines and not from the pan. The line would be clear of the pan and would not get dripped on directly.
Wipe it all down, (above as well) and wrap a rag on the lines. If it is soaked on the inside its the lines, if its only outside it would be from above.
By forward do you mean that the gear is toward the rear and the back of the motor is forward? Both my 97 5.0 and 01 4.0 have it this way. Good point about wrapping a rag around the lien

By forward do you mean that the gear is toward the rear and the back of the motor is forward? Both my 97 5.0 and 01 4.0 have it this way. Good point about wrapping a rag around the lien
yes - I was thinking the cone on the starter points backward and the windings and body are in front of it (under the exhaust manifolds).

Those are the transmission cooler lines leaking. If you can follow them up to an area that is solid on each side of the damaged area you can cut them out and use some new steel lines with compression fittings to repair. If you use rubber line to make the repair just be sure it’s rated for transmission fluid. Try nickel plated soft line to replace them

Shop Roll of 3/8" Copper Nickel Fuel / Transmission Line​

3A675CAC-0F2A-45E4-828C-7CF044B51839.jpeg

And union fittings
2EA8A3B7-7837-4147-82B1-4568570ECCAA.png

as it’s easy to bend and form to original line aluminum tubing is also easy to form. Trying to replace lines from radiator to transmission is almost impossible unless vehicle is on overhead rack.
Brad

Back