• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid leak

coolauzie88

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 4.0L
Hi guys, been reading up with yall for a while and finally joined the team. I have a question on my 96 Explorer 4WD 4.0L. Shes got 300K miles on her so she doesnt owe me anything but Im trying to get the old girl running again. I have to rebuild the transfer case but thats another issue.

Ive been noticing a burning fluid smell for a while and this is accompanied by smoke. I looked underneath and noticed that theres fluid all over the exhaust header on the drivers side and on the cross over piece running underneath the tranny. I cleaned all the fluid up (theres always a small puddle under the car too when its been parked for a bit) to try and track down the origin. It looks like its coming from somewhere up by where the drivers side header connects to the block?? weird... it appears that its running down the exhaust pipe and smokes real bad when it gets hot. Im pretty sure its tranny fluid since its red and i have to add fluid every once in a while. Any ideas on where its coming from??

Check the filler trans dipstick tube, and the tranny fluid oil cooler lines. Does the gasket between the engine and trans look good? It's a metal permenent gasket so they usualluy dont go out.

Back