• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid leak?

KrisGuitarNY

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hey guys, I start up my explorer pretty much everday..a few days ago I pulled it up to brush it off, and then put it back, and noticed a long streak of brown fluid...I found the source, it's coming from a pipe below the radiator, that connects to 2 pipes. I have some pictures below.

What can I do to stop the leak? I'm a novice to engines, I just got into cars recently, I got this for free from my dad. I'm getting my license soon.

The main source of the leak

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Here's the pool of fluid after sitting for a few days

These are two pipes the leak is connected to

Fresh trail from driving

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like this is the rubber hoses conecting the automatic transmission lines to the transmission cooler. You can try to tighten the hose clamps. However my bet is that the hose is weathered and now cracked which is why there is so much fluid on the ground. Good news is if that is what the problem is then it is a quick and inexpensive fix. You may have to remove the plastic cover which is under the radiator to get up there. Two bolts on each side and pull it off.
Good time to learn about all the up keep there can be to having a vehicle.
Let us know what you find.

Looks like this is the rubber hoses conecting the automatic transmission lines to the transmission cooler. You can try to tighten the hose clamps. However my bet is that the hose is weathered and now cracked which is why there is so much fluid on the ground. Good news is if that is what the problem is then it is a quick and inexpensive fix. You may have to remove the plastic cover which is under the radiator to get up there. Two bolts on each side and pull it off.
Good time to learn about all the up keep there can be to having a vehicle.
Let us know what you find.

I need to do this repair also. I am going to try and find out what size & type of hose to use, then fix it up on a warmer day.

I believe that it was a 3/8" hose. They sell is in bulk or by the foot. I believe that it was about $3 a foot. Any auto parts store should carry it. As Brooklynbay said it would be a good time for an external transmission filter. I picked one up on e-bay for about $15. and was very easy to install by the transmission cooler.

Thank you, Don.

Thanks guys, whats the benefits of an external tranny filter?

Back