• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Fluid

Sleb

Reaction score
City, State
MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I’m getting my transmission fluid changed this weekend. I spoke to my transmission guy to ask what type of fluid to use and he gave me two choices; Amsoil 100% synthetic (which is what I’m going to use) or dextron IV with an additive to make it comparable to mercon 5 and ford transmissions. What is this additive? Is it safe to use? He said he has been using it for years now and never had a problem. He also told me that only a transmission shop can purchase the stuff. Is the Amsoil really a hell of a lot better or should I use the dextron with the additive? Anyone who has any knowledge on this "additive" or what ATF to use .......any comments would be appreciated.
Tkx Sleb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your choice to go with Amsoil ATF ( Dead Link Removed ) is a prudent one.

In my opinion there is no better product available.

Good luck ....

The additive is an additive pack which contains mostly friction modifiers. A few different versions of such a pack are available from a few different makers sold under a whole lot of different brands. Some of the brands (but not likely any of the individual additive packs) are only available through a specific distribution channel (seller requires membership to buy) thus the claim that only a transmission shop can buy it.

Generally, these additive backs additive packs contain enough friction modifier chemicals to treat a specific range of volume of 5 weight petroleum based ATF to behave in the manner specified for Mercon V. However, if used with a volume of ATF (total capacity in your trans and cooler) is not in the range described on the bottle or is not petroleum based or uses friction modifiers not compatible with those in the additive pack the end result may not behave as a Mercon V should.

Basically, don't trust this stuff unless:
-You have the packaging for both the modifier and the trans fluid;
-and your total ATF capacity matches what is specified in the labeling for the bottle;
-and the ATF being used is a Dexron type petroleum based ATF from a major oil co. such as Exxon/Mobil or Sunoco or CAM2;
-and the alternative, any Mercon V compliant finished product, is too expensive for your taste.

These "water into wine" additives are all but useless. Either stick with your first choice of Amsoil ATF, or a genuine Mercon V labeled fluid. Mobil 1 or Schaeffer's synthetic ATFs are also good choices.
I'm not much of an Amsoil fan, but I've always liked their tranny fluids and gear lubes.

Back