Is this the right fluid for the transmission? Valvoline Transmission Fluid Mercon V (ATF), for a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer, v6, 4liter, awd. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this the right fluid for the transmission? Valvoline Transmission Fluid Mercon V (ATF), for a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer, v6, 4liter, awd.

2004mountaineers

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Mountaineer
Is this the right fluid for the transmission? Valvoline Transmission Fluid Mercon V (ATF), for a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer, v6, 4liter, awd.
Amazon product ASIN B000WTM2WS Just from curiosity, how do you guys weekly check/top-off your transmission fluid level? (My nominal plan is a squeeze-ketchup bottle.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Amazon product ASIN B000WTM2WS Just from curiosity, how do you guys weekly check/top-off your transmission fluid level? (My nominal plan is a squeeze-ketchup bottle.)
It is the right fluid provided the transmission does not have synthetic fluid in it right now.

A ketchup bottle, interesting. Might work for topping it off, but to fill after draining, I don't think so. When you drain the trans fluid, you're gonna want to get 5 quarts back in there before safely firing up the vehicle. Can't do 5 quarts with a ketchup bottle because the fluid will keep draining out when you refill the ketchup bottle.

I use a small electric fuel pump to suck fresh fluid out of a container and pump it into the transmission.........remove the hex bolt from the drain plug, screw a nipple fitting into the drain plug, attach a hose with pump onto the nipple. Apply power to the pump. Send 5 quarts into the transmission. Fire up the engine. Monitor trans temp. Add more fluid when trans temp is 100°F. Remove hose/pump to allow excess fluid to drain out the plug. Remove nipple. Install hex bolt plug.

yes that is right. just add it through the dipstick?

edit: realized 5r55w does not have dipstick. i do know 5r55s has a dipstick kit, is that for the W too?

It is the right fluid provided the transmission does not have synthetic fluid in it right now.

A ketchup bottle, interesting. Might work for topping it off, but to fill after draining, I don't think so. When you drain the trans fluid, you're gonna want to get 5 quarts back in there before safely firing up the vehicle. Can't do 5 quarts with a ketchup bottle because the fluid will keep draining out when you refill the ketchup bottle.

I use a small electric fuel pump to suck fresh fluid out of a container and pump it into the transmission.........remove the hex bolt from the drain plug, screw a nipple fitting into the drain plug, attach a hose with pump onto the nipple. Apply power to the pump. Send 5 quarts into the transmission. Fire up the engine. Monitor trans temp. Add more fluid when trans temp is 100°F. Remove hose/pump to allow excess fluid to drain out the plug. Remove nipple. Install hex bolt plug.
1. they dont make a syn that im aware of? thought they were all syn blend. think the only compatible was an Mobil syn one of those more generic ones i thought? or is that amsoil one still made? and i do not see why you cant mix and match with these, providing they are compatible? not to be that person.

2/3. i do agree with those!!!!

All Mercon-V is synthetic.

Use only the following:

xt5qmc-fro.jpg
OR
2009vv360merconv.jpg

Agreed. Motorcraft Mercon V is full synthetic. It's the good stuff. Beware of other brands of Mercon V labeled synthetic blend.

Agreed. Motorcraft Mercon V is full synthetic. It's the good stuff. Beware of other brands of Mercon V labeled synthetic blend.
Maybe I got the totally-wrong stuff, but I bought this a while back.
"Super Tech MERCON V Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 Quart"

Maybe I got the totally-wrong stuff, but I bought this a while back.
"Super Tech MERCON V Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 Quart"

SuperTech Mercon-V is legit Mercon-V, although not a preferred brand but given today's prices I can understand one not having a choice.

Back