Transmission Growl/Whine - Transmission Cooler Leaking | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Growl/Whine - Transmission Cooler Leaking

I wonder if this problem is more related to the Explorers with out the tow package. Pretty sure Ford uses a different transmission cooler for the tow package.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if this problem is more related to the Explorers with out the tow package. Pretty sure Ford uses a different transmission cooler for the tow package.
I have the towing package.

i have the towing package, too

With this being a "sealed" transmission how do they change the fluid? For those that have owned anything with "lifetime" fluid we know that statement is complete marketing crap. That's why many Taurus and Edge owners installed drain plugs on the PTU so we could do fluid changes.

Just received a notice on Ford Pass for a recall for the Transmission Oil Cooler FSA 20B34. My dealer says it is a mandatory recall. Have scheduled to have it replaced next week.

Just received a notice on Ford Pass for a recall for the Transmission Oil Cooler FSA 20B34. My dealer says it is a mandatory recall. Have scheduled to have it replaced next week.

Hmm nothing showing on the recall website or app for me yet, what is your build date?

Hmm nothing showing on the recall website or app for me yet, what is your build date?
An FSA (field Service Action) isn't an actual Recall so that is likely why it isn't showing up on that website.

Peter

Your dealer is incorrect it is a FSA field service action not a mandatory recall

It is a internal FSA field service action the letter B in 20B34 designates that it is a field service action only and not a recall. I spoke with Ford yesterday and they stated that the FSA basically states that they have extended the warranty on the transmission cooler of the units that were leaking. And that if your transmission cooler is not leaking this FSA is not telling you to bring it into the dealership to replace it it's only for the people who have had leaking transmission coolers.
I told him that my transmission cooler is not leaking and do I need to bring it in to have it replaced since I received a FSA on my Ford Pass App they said no it's only a warranty extension for the ones that had been leaking and or if you have one leak in the future.

The contact number to verify my above statement is 1-800-392-3673 they will read you the internal FSA

It is a internal FSA field service action the letter B in 20B34 designates that it is a field service action only and not a recall. I spoke with Ford yesterday and they stated that the FSA basically states that they have extended the warranty on the transmission cooler of the units that were leaking. And that if your transmission cooler is not leaking this FSA is not telling you to bring it into the dealership to replace it it's only for the people who have had leaking transmission coolers.
I told him that my transmission cooler is not leaking and do I need to bring it in to have it replaced since I received a FSA on my Ford Pass App they said no it's only a warranty extension for the ones that had been leaking and or if you have one leak in the future.
I don't doubt that my dealer may be incorrect here. My appointment confirmation does say Perform Recall 20B34. I'm also having my oil changed at the same time so I'll find out when I get there if they are actually going to do it. It may be they just inspect for leakage. Who knows. Also, the FordPass app does say Recall.

I don't doubt that my dealer may be incorrect here. My appointment confirmation does say Perform Recall 20B34. I'm also having my oil changed at the same time so I'll find out when I get there if they are actually going to do it. It may be they just inspect for leakage. Who knows. Also, the FordPass app does say Recall.

It's misleading open your Ford Pass App click on your recall then it takes you to the page where it says that it is a FSA field service action if it was a recall it would give you which vehicles were involved which dates the fix for the problem and so on the FSA will not give you any of that information

I called and made an appointment. I was not asked if it was leaking. Just an FYI. We will see what they say

So, dealer fixed mine. Said transmission cooler line had broken loose, probably at highway speeds for whatever reason. Lost all Or most of the fluid, transmission quit functioning. They looked through everything (cooler, transmission) and said it seemed fine. Replaced a transmission cooler line and added a support bracket for the lines that Ford is now recommending be added. I would expect that is what this field service action involved-placing the bracket for the cooler lines. But the vehicle was fine (1800 miles, one month since purchase), no leaks until we took it on the extended (4 hour) highway drive running continuous 75mph. As I mentioned before, I first started hearing and feeling some problems in low gears at a gas stop at the 2 hour mark. Progressively worse over the next couple of stops (seemed fine at highway speeds), then wouldn’t go into gear (and was automatically applying parking brake). No issues after dealer fix so far.

I would also add, on the off chance that someone from Ford looks at these forums: the dealer was great, and I am pleased that Ford has recognized they have a problem. It happens.
BUT-they REALLY need to do something about their Roadside Assistance and Customer Service lines. One was useless, and one was non existent. Have a 24h emergency service line to get some help from Ford on issues like this, and train and empower the people on Roadside Assistance to get you towed and arrange alternate transportation. They were comically bad (and useless).

Brought my EX in today for the Recall/FSA. The dealer replaced the cooler. They noted that it was not leaking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brought my EX in today for the Recall/FSA. The dealer replaced the cooler. They noted that it was not leaking.
Thats what it says on my FordPass App as well. Everytime I open the app it tells me there is a recall notice. I have to get my rear seat fixed by the dealer as the headrest is stuck in the up position. I told my Service Manager to get it taken care of as well when I bring it in for the seat fix. Lets see what happens.

Back