• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid leak

Expy2020

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer XLT AWD
I noticed today a clear oil puddle on the ground in my garage. After my wife got home, I crawled underneath and the transmission rear support (big aluminum thing) was covered in oil. I believe this is where the infamous oil cooler is located correct? I called the dealer and they said they would need 3-4 business days for a diagnosis but as soon as I mentioned oil cooler and that the car is under warranty, they said we stock those oil coolers, bring it in and we'll see if we can squeeze it in tomorrow.

Is this a straightforward repair, or does the transmission have to be drained of all fluid and refilled? I just got it back and shifting better a few weeks ago (from a different dealer) and worried this original purchasing dealer is gonna flub something up unless it's ultra simple. They've not impressed me in diagnosing the shifting issues but they had a next day appointment for this issue....

The oil cooler is on the left hand side of the transmission. I doubt they will drain the transmission but will need to fill it after replacing the cooler.

After doing some googling, it appears my leak is at the drive shaft seal. Anyone had that happen?

Update

Just got call from dealer, transfer case shaft seal leak as I suspected. They had to order parts and said I can come pick it up and drive it till parts come in. Does the transfer case use ATF on these or gear oil? It had practically no smell so I'm assuming it's just ATF? The fill and drain plugs are easily accessible which is nice.

I watched a YouTube video on this and apparently you have to drop the exhaust and remove a bunch of plastic panels just to get to this seal. Not sure why the panels would have to come off, unless the mounts for the cradle are above them. I'm kinda worried that this is a common issue but at least it's serviceable vs the older style that apparently called for transfer case replacement....

Back