transmission issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission issue

Bapster

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi All, been doing alot of research online and talking to a few people, but I needed your opinion before I take my vehicle to the transmission shop to get diagnosed, see if it matches....I just bought a 95 explorer xlt 4x4 4.0L 216km's.
It has a delay going from first gear to 2nd gear, unless I take my foot of the gas, then it'll change more smooth/proper rpm, changes into 3rd & 4th(OD) with no problem and at the proper speed/rpm. when driving down the road and I need passing gear, it'll go from say 3rd gear straight into 1st gear instead of 2nd...that's at speeds around 60km's/h....about half the time it went into 2nd gear, the other half it went into first gear. The OD Off light was blinking, but I disconnected the battery for the night and connected it the next morning, the OD off light turned off and so I took it for a test drive with the above results. When the OD off light was blinking, I had the delay from 1st gear to 2nd gear, don't think it changed into 3rd gear at that time. Any ideas what it could be? I'm guessing it's a solenoid?....but want to know what you guys think before I take it to the transmission shop....Thanks guys, all your help is very appreciated. Trans fluid is clean and red and at proper level.

- Brian
PS sorry for such a long post.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be pump pressure..bands. Who knows..there is a lot of magic going on in a tranny.

the first thing i would do is get those codes. they will help narrow your troubles.
don't forget autozone and related parts stores read codes for free

the first thing i would do is get those codes. they will help narrow your troubles.
don't forget autozone and related parts stores read codes for free

Since I disconnected the battery and then re-connected it, the od off light has not started flashing again, so I would think there wouldn't be any stored codes as of yet, as the battery had been disconnected. That's why I was asking for your guys opinion before I take it to the trans shop to have them diagnose it...hoping it is just a sensor or a solenoid, and they're not going to tell me rebuild time...I hope

if you are close to me i can get into the computer with a modis / pass-thru box or you can run across someone who has no vested interest in selling parts and service. i dislike that part of being a mechanic. that is probably why i am broke and they are not

if you are close to me i can get into the computer with a modis / pass-thru box or you can run across someone who has no vested interest in selling parts and service. i dislike that part of being a mechanic. that is probably why i am broke and they are not

I'm in Canada, but thanks...would an obd1 reader tell me anything even tho the battery had been disconnected and there is no lights on as of yet?...the obd2 reader I have access to (Mac Mentor) read a couple codes even without the "check engine" light on, but nothing came up for the transmission

I don't know about the mac but the modis can access keep in memory codes that have been cleared, it can also test and read live data. There is a newer system called verus, I just can't afford it yet

I don't know about the mac but the modis can access keep in memory codes that have been cleared, it can also test and read live data. There is a newer system called verus, I just can't afford it yet

On my way to the transmission shop the OD light started blinking, the transmission tech took my explorer for a test drive and said there is no 2nd gear, shifts from 1st gear to 3rd gear, kind of harsh, smoother if I let up on the gas pedal....I read the code, the only code it through out on my obd1 scanner is the infamous 646...so I'm assuming the next steps to take is, drop the pan, check for bits & pieces inside the pan, if not then change the solenoid(s)?...or how would you guys go about it?

I will share my experience with this transmission (4R44E), they are weak! Used in the 95's and early 96's this trans. had weak clutches and people would tow in OD even tough the Manual says not to. In mid-1996 they switched to the 4R55E, I have a 96 that the second gear is very sporadic and reverse is weak. It had belonged to a Snow Bird that towed between here and FL. Had it "looked at" and it is to far gone to do anything at this point. I found a donor that had never towed anything, no hitch what so ever, had a chance to drive the donor before dismantling and can't wait to have a normal shifting truck. There are ways to adapt other year transmissions but I didn't want to mess around any more than I had to. Good luck

Back