• Register Today It's free!

Transmission issue

Capt Phil

Reaction score
City, State
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0
Hello all....it's time to ask the geniuses that this forum has. 2003 ford explorer 4.0 4x4 5r55s.
Was getting harsh/delayed reverse. I changed solenoid pack, filter and 6 quarts of fluid, no different. Changed the value body gasket, filter and 8 quarts of fluid....viola, it was working fine! Went out this morning (24 hours later) and back to harsh/delayed engagement. When I had the valve body out, I checked the servo band and it showed no signs of wear or slippage. Any info at all will be a big help. Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all....it's time to ask the geniuses that this forum has. 2003 ford explorer 4.0 4x4 5r55s.
Was getting harsh/delayed reverse. I changed solenoid pack, filter and 6 quarts of fluid, no different. Changed the value body gasket, filter and 8 quarts of fluid....viola, it was working fine! Went out this morning (24 hours later) and back to harsh/delayed engagement. When I had the valve body out, I checked the servo band and it showed no signs of wear or slippage. Any info at all will be a big help. Thank you in advance.
any codes?

Phil have you posted in the transmission sub-forum? Their are some pros over there that build these units daily, and they are super knowledgeable and helpful.

No codes...fluid level good. Very confusing 😕
Can we assume you are using a pro level scantool, because Ford transmission codes are proprietary and hence are invisible to a run of the mill scanner.

Back