• Register Today It's free!

Transmission issues

Eyurk

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I’ve been noticing lately when it shifts from 2 to 3 it slams hard and if I’m almost foot to the floor off the start it’ll sometimes rev up real high in 2nd but not accelerate as it should be expected in 2nd. Idk what it is but I wanted to see if anyone else was having similar problems. I have a 2013 explorer sport with 117k miles on it. Not too familiar with ford transmissions and their history sooo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a couplr threads on hard shifts that can be found using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right). Here is one of them; 2015 Explorer bump/harsh shift
There is also a TSB in the TSB thread; 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's but it doesn't apply to 2013 models. A members in the first thread suggested disconnecting the negative battery cable for a while before reconnecting. This will cause the transmission to go through the 'Adaptive Learning' process again but it will also result in some lost memory functions. You will have to re-pair your phone again.

Peter

I had a complete Transmission failure at 16k miles on my 2016 Sport.

Prior to the failure I was getting hesitating shifts and free revving. It would go to downshift but just rev and not actually kick down into gear. The failure happened while merging onto the highway in 3rd gear. Stepped on the gas and it wouldn't downshift to 2nd, then boom! Sounded like a grenade went off under the truck.

Overall, Ford builds very good transmissions (excluding the DCT). Hard shifting is one thing but if it is slipping like you mentioned, afraid to say it sounds like your trans is on its way out.

Back