Transmission problems, what else is new ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problems, what else is new ???

lilypad511

Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
I have a 2004 Explorer XLT with less than 75K miles. The transmission went out so I took to Aamco. They told me once they got it apart, that it was completely shot, needed just about everything:
OD planetary set ?
carcked case
new sun shell?
torque converter

It was $3500.00. Up until this point, I had no problems with my Explorer and have had it for almost 6 years. So could this go from driving just fine to being toast, just like that ? Also, has anyone had luck in complaining to Ford and getting help with paying for the rebuilt tansmission ? Thank you very much.

Trans is common to go out in explorers usually just the valve body goes or the bands or both either way going to have to be rebuilt or replaced ... Ammco is know for ripping people off on work. I know advanced auto parts has rebuilt trans with 3 year warranty for around 1600

Geez $3500 is a steep price but if they need to gut it and rebuild the entire thing then that sounds about right. Had you done anything to the transmission at all? like change the filter or the fluid? Pretty much the only way to destroy everything would require something to explode or have no fluid

Re: Transmission

No, I had not done any service to it. And what I was told is that those transmissions are sealed and there is no way to add fluid. I did not put any hard use in to it at all, just going to and from work (about 3 miles each way), some around town driving and an occasional trip to the coast ( 1 1/2 hours away).

Back