• Register Today It's free!

Transmission rear seal leak

Creatve

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I have a 99 2wd auto 4.0L SOHC sport and after helping out my buddies who was stuck out in the mountains(7 of us in my 2dr explorer going up a mountain offroading), I saw small patch of ATF fluid on my garage floor. I looked up and it appears to be leaking at the rear of the transmission where the driveshaft connects.

Is it normal for this to leak while offroading?(especially being fully loaded with people going up a mountain) If not, whats involved in replacing this seal (tools used, procedure) and is it wise to also flush the transmission fluid and replace the filter? I tried looking in my Haynes manual for replacement of that seal but I cant find it in there.

My transmission code is D so I guess its the 5R55E tranny(18 bolts). Got about 113,500 miles and never changed the tranny filter but had a tranny flush at 77,000. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh theres an overfill vent in that seal or around that area?

Thanks, I'll clean everything down with brake cleaner and see if it still leaks. So far there is no new atf leaking :D

Back