Transmission removal questions

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
Has anyone ever removed their transmission using jack stands and a low pro transmission jack? I'm more than likely going to have to replace the rear main seal in the engine (5.0) and am looking to do this in my garage as I don't have access to a shop or a lift. I figure I can save myself $400-$600 (including tools needed for the job) if I could take care of it myself. Anyone have any experience with this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have removed dozens of transmissions and I always used the buddy system. Once on jack stands 2 guys crawl under and yank it out.

For a lighter smaller stick I just do those myself.

I have removed dozens of transmissions and I always used the buddy system. Once on jack stands 2 guys crawl under and yank it out.

For a lighter smaller stick I just do those myself.
lol I just asked you the same question on my other thread. That makes me feel better about doing it on jack stands.

I've done a couple using rhino ramps and jackstands and a small scissor style transmission jack, and I've also seen some guys use an atv jack and they made some kind of cradle attachment for it.

I don't know how you plan on doing yours and i haven't done one a 5.0 but I've removed the transfer case first before the transmission rather then trying to remove both as an assembly, i know its possible on some vehicles but i think its easier to handle them separately

I've done a couple using rhino ramps and jackstands and a small scissor style transmission jack, and I've also seen some guys use an atv jack and they made some kind of cradle attachment for it.

I don't know how you plan on doing yours and i haven't done one a 5.0 but I've removed the transfer case first before the transmission rather then trying to remove both as an assembly, i know its possible on some vehicles but i think its easier to handle them separately
Thanks for the tip, I just picked up a set of rhino ramps. I'll poke around on YouTube and see if I can find anyone pulling this transmission out of this generation explorer.

Thanks for the tip, I just picked up a set of rhino ramps. I'll poke around on YouTube and see if I can find anyone pulling this transmission out of this generation explorer.
The difficulty I found pulling my 4R55E out of my '96, which was not the 5.0, was hangup on some of the insulator metal flashing up above, and the gas tank in the way of T-case which rotated and cleared. T-case easy one-man lift. Transmission very heavy, I bought and used a low, 4-wheeled transmission jack having a wrap-around strap raised by a center bolt and scissors lift. Went down very low, and high enough to support transmission. Using a common garage jack is iffy, as oil pan will slide around on it, balance point difficult to find.

Getting the trans out will be relatively easy, just go slow and get everything disconnected. As soon as you can, secure the torque converter into the trans, preferably don't let it come out of the trans, at all.

Make a note before pulling the trans off of the engine at all(with it still together). How far will the torque converter push back, away from the engine flexplate(1/4" or what)? That is a critical measurement, it must be about the same when the trans goes back on. That's how to tell if the TC is back in all the way. If it's not, fix it, or it will hurt the crank or trans pump.

Installing the trans is the hardest part, you almost have to have two people to line it up properly. Be super aware of the torque converter, that must be in the transmission, all of the way. It's easiest to get it all the way back in with it standing up on the end. There must be a decent gap when installed, between the TC front face, and the engine flexplate. The threaded studs of the TC come through the flexplate.

Back