• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Servicing

digifoss

Reaction score
City, State
Grants, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer XLT
I've looked at the Ford recommended service schedule, and on youtube for servicing the transmission. I've found several example videos of using an adapter to level check, drain and fill the fluid level, but nothing about changing the filter. I assume there is a filter in the pan. I won't need to worry about it for a longtime as it was serviced a couple of weeks ago but I will probably want to do it myself. I have a 1984 F150 with 300k miles on it and have never had any kind of transmission repair done on it, just changing the fluid and filter every 30k miles since it was new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, there is a filter. Dropping the pan will give you access to the filter like in any transmission. Mercon V is the fluid. You'll need the adapter to fill in, few bucks online. We did it on our 07 few months ago. About an hour job, messy.

I used to drop the pan and change the filter every year, but the last 2 or 3 time I did it there were no signs of anything, so last year I just pulled the big plug and topped it up. this spring I may drop the pan again for a boo. When I bought it I am glad I dropped the pan because the magnet was covered in junk, since then, not so much.

I know the transmission got the 90k miles service in August, before I bought it, but I don't know if that means just swapping the fluid, or fluid and filter. I think the first time Ill do both fluid and filter and go from there. If I drain by pulling the plug, how much comes out - needs to go back in ? Same question if I pull the pan - how much to refill ?

you get about 3 quarts with the plug, If I remember dropping the pan and pulling the filter is around 5 quarts, and I usually picked up a sixth, just in case.

Back