• Register Today It's free!

Transmission shudder issue

my68vert

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomingdale, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
I have a 2006 xlt with a 4.0 and it's developed this nasty shudder in the higher gears when trying to figure out what gear to go into. I thought maybe it just needed a fluid change so just had the dealer do this last week and it helped a tiny bit but it's now back at the same level as before, so I don't think it's the Torque converter shudder I've heard others face but who knows.

The truck has 55k on it. It's usually when it's at that part throttle level and low rpm and shifting into the next gear. It also does it with overdrive off so it's not specific to OD.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? I'd like to have an idea of what it could possibly be before I end up looking at taking it to the dealer since it's out of warranty.

Also, on a side note, would you guys recommend the extended warranty? I've hmm'd and haw'd about it for 6 months now and wasn't sure if I wanted to do it, but after this problem, I'm thinking it may be piece of mind.

Thanks,
Chris

Hmm, im no expert in the 5r55 but to me it sounds like TC clutch trying to engage and shuddering, or the clutch packs slipping/shuddering.

Back