• Register Today It's free!

transmission swap

xploda01

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt
i took the 4r55e out of my 96 2wd 4.0 explorer today and i see no point in putting that transmission back in, i know about the Advanced adapters conversion being made utilizing the 700r4, all of that will cost too much money for me and i dont have that much time because my explorer is my daily driver, i want to put a 5 speed manual in as a replacement. I was thinking about using a ranger or Bronco II transmission with the brake/clutch pedal assembly, master cylinder, slave cylinder...ect. seriously doubt that any of the salvage yards around me will have a 5 spd explorer with all the parts i need. does any one know if the ranger or bronco II parts will fit my explorer, and how strong is the manual 5 speeds that were offered in the rangers/BII's? I am also scared to mes with the computers, i know that the computer will have to be swapped with a 5 speed 4.0 ohv computer, but just i was just wanting to know more on how to change all the wiring and harness and things, any help would be greatly appeciated. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

Several members on the board have swapped in manuals for their 4r55e's.

You are in luck since you explorer came with a 5spd manual on your drivetrain from the factory. It is simply a matter of finding a wrecked X with a manual transmission and swapping it in. You will need the computer from that X as well. The ranger transmission *should* work as well, same thing with the clutch assembly. But someone else may know definitely.

The 4x4's have an adapter for the t-case, while the 2wds have a tailshaft, so that will make a difference when finding the junker.

thanks v8boatbuilder, my main concern now is the computer and the harnesses, scared to mess with that......

When I swapped a 4.0L 5 spd from a 94 Navajo 4x4 into my 90 Ranger 2wd, the only problems I had was that the 4.0 tranny's output shaft was too short, and my master cylinder is too small for the slave cylinder so my firewall flexes every time I depress the clutch. As for the computer the auto computer will work just fine although I would recommend using the manual caomputer.

There is more to it then that I am afraid.

The computer gets swapped out yes, but there are also some differences in the wiring harness itself that need to be addressed.

Also dont forget you will need the entire pedal assembly from the donor, and that from a BII/Ranger will not work.

I would not recommend installing a BII/older Ranger 5 speed behind your 4.0L. After 94 the Mazda 5 speed got upgraded considerably internally.

You will also need to do something with your tranny cooler and lines, the column shifter is no longer needed, and you will want the floor plate and shifter from the donor 5 speed. Using these parts from a like Explorer will ease your conversion, you may want to consider getting the entire steering column from the 5 speed as well........

Back