• Register Today It's free!

Transmission upgrade and update

KillJoy

Reaction score
City, State
Liberty Center, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Posting here as I hope the people who frequent this thread will have the proper info. I have a 2010 Sporttrac Adrenalin with the pre 2011 6r80 thats ready to give up, as far as i know the PCM controls the trans and the engine. As far as I understand the transmission controls the engine what to do, at least thats how I see it described. So if that's true what happens if the transmission is swapped out for a newer 6r80 or even maybe 10r80 using the US Shift controllers or a standalone controller. Will the PCM freak out? Does it go into limp mode? Is there a way around limp mode? Can it be tuned out, is there a perimeter I can change to put it into "manual" mode? I'm willing to do the trial and error to figure it out. Going from the old gen 6r80 to a 10r80 will have a pretty big impact on fuel consumption and driveability let alone the reliability and wide market these new transmissions have

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check this thread, the swap has been discussed:

nothing in that thread pertained to my question and nobody even answered it in that thread either. There is a distinct difference between the 6R80 found in the 2010 sport trac and those found in the 2011 and up

If I was planning this swap, I'd look into using a 2011 or newer coyote pcm, they can be tuned to run a 4.6. The 99-04 mustang guys do it when they swap in a 2011 or newer 6R80 into their cars. You could also use an electric power steering rack.

If I was planning this swap, I'd look into using a 2011 or newer coyote pcm, they can be tuned to run a 4.6. The 99-04 mustang guys do it when they swap in a 2011 or newer 6R80 into their cars. You could also use an electric power steering rack.
Thank you this is what I needed to know. I didn’t know that coyote PCMs can be tuned to run the 4.6 which works even better because once the 4.6 blows I planned on putting a coyote in anyways. Plus the coyote pcm is much easier to tune from what I can tell

Back