Transmission wont go into gear | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission wont go into gear

I've only started it once after the initial break down. And it was after adding fluid to it and checked to see that it was ok the next day. Haven't started it since bc I know that it's not moving, I definitely don't want to learn the hard way so I won't be starting it from here on. I still haven't had the chance to get it between all of life's ongoing events.

Looking for any leaks and dropping that pan is the first thing I'm doing once I'm checking this out. I appreciate the advice! @Mbrooks420 anything else you'd advise me to do?

I am not the original owner, I purchased it in 2020, and when I checked it then the fluid was a good color of red, not dark. I've maybe put one ~25k miles since, and it's at 237k as it sits. So it's pretty high and up there and I have not changed the fluid myself since I've purchased it. @Josh P

Which now leads me to believe that could be an issue? To be real honest, I've finally gotten to a place where I have some space to work on my vehicles and the tools, so up until very recently I haven't been able to do any type of maintenance myself. Paying for it at shops gets expensive real quick since I live in California

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've only started it once after the initial break down. And it was after adding fluid to it and checked to see that it was ok the next day. Haven't started it since bc I know that it's not moving, I definitely don't want to learn the hard way so I won't be starting it from here on. I still haven't had the chance to get it between all of life's ongoing events.

Looking for any leaks and dropping that pan is the first thing I'm doing once I'm checking this out. I appreciate the advice! @Mbrooks420 anything else you'd advise me to do?

I am not the original owner, I purchased it in 2020, and when I checked it then the fluid was a good color of red, not dark. I've maybe put one ~25k miles since, and it's at 237k as it sits. So it's pretty high and up there and I have not changed the fluid myself since I've purchased it. @Josh P

Which now leads me to believe that could be an issue? To be real honest, I've finally gotten to a place where I have some space to work on my vehicles and the tools, so up until very recently I haven't been able to do any type of maintenance myself. Paying for it at shops gets expensive real quick since I live in California
If the transmission got hot enough smoke was coming out of the dip stick tube, I think it's done. The first thing that comes to mind is the transmission was slipping.

If the transmission got hot enough smoke was coming out of the dip stick tube, I think it's done. The first thing that comes to mind is the transmission was slipping.
That was actually the first thought I had when it happened to, so here I am, hoping I can keep my Explorer alive still lol. I know it's possible, how much it's going to cost me is question. But I'm willing to try and do the work myself, so we'll see how it goes. Finally going to have time that I can dedicate to this explorer next week

Soo an update, I was able to determine that the transmissions life came to an end. It was super dry when I opened it, big learning lesson for me on it though. Unfortunately, I won't be able to save my explorer. A driver hit my truck over the weekend and essentially totaled it..bent the frame and destroyed my driver side suspension. I don't have the money, nor the space or tools to properly fix the damage. So I appreciate all of the advice and tips I got from everyone here. But I think I'm going to have to retire this explorer, sadly..

Soo an update, I was able to determine that the transmissions life came to an end. It was super dry when I opened it, big learning lesson for me on it though. Unfortunately, I won't be able to save my explorer. A driver hit my truck over the weekend and essentially totaled it..bent the frame and destroyed my driver side suspension. I don't have the money, nor the space or tools to properly fix the damage. So I appreciate all of the advice and tips I got from everyone here. But I think I'm going to have to retire this explorer, sadly..
Does that driver have insurance?

Back