Transmission wont go into gears except park. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission wont go into gears except park.

robw4242

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
The other day i started my car and heard a quick loud chirp. the noise didn't continue so i proceeded to back out of the drive way. when i put into gear, no response except for normal rev from the engine. put it in reverse, no response, just rolled. I assumed that my tranny went out again. Had it worked on back in 09 and had the tranny rebuilt. one of my friends at the shop said that there was a possibility that the flywheel broke or lost some teeth. He told me to see if the flywheel was spinning when it was put into gear. well, my problem is that i dont have that little area of rubber that i can pull back to view that. Any suggestions on what i can do? I'm really hoping to avoid replacing the tranny again. Any help/insight is greatly appreciated. :):thumbsup:

flexplate bolted to crankshaft

. . . one of my friends at the shop said that there was a possibility that the flywheel broke or lost some teeth. He told me to see if the flywheel was spinning when it was put into gear. . .

The flexplate is bolted to the crankshaft so unless broken it will spin any time the crankshaft is rotating.
ChanBlnc.jpg

If the flexplate was broken then the starter would not rotate the crankshaft to start the engine. I suggest that you consider looking for a transmission shop with more knowledgeable technicians.

If you heard the chirp when putting the transmission into gear then you might check to see if a universal joint broke. If you heard the chirp when the engine started then the transmission input shaft could be broken or the splines in the shaft stripped, the torque converter may have failed, or other internal transmission parts may have failed. Did you check the ATF level? It may just be low.

Yeah, I checked the fluid shortly after the incident. Everything looked as it should, with no leaks or anything from the tranny. The reason my shop associate believed it was the flywheel was because the exact same thing happened to his moms 01 sport a while back.

Back