Tried my first transmission job, maybe a fail... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tried my first transmission job, maybe a fail...

Nate_Bro

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Ford Ranger
I have a 98' ford ranger 4x4 4.0L with the 5r55e

the reverse band tab broke off so I decided to give it a go and replace it myself. while I was in there I replaced some friction plates (stepped gears) and also rebuilt the valve body (no modifications).

So last night we were up until 3AM this morning getting things all back in. We got it all back together, filled it with 5 quarts of fluid, started the truck, and poured in another 5 quarts. after waiting about 15-20 min I tried to put it in gear.

Reverse did little more then drop the engine RPM's by about 200, OD about he same as reverse (no truck movement, but a drop in RPM's), but first and second got the truck to move forward in the garage. not the BIG problem is I can't seem to get the truck in neutral so I can push it back, now the bumper is almost touching the wall of the garage and blocking my garage/house door, so I have to walk around the back of the house.

I can't think of anything that would keep the truck from moving backwards, there are/were no sounds that came from the transmission, and I'm taking that since 1st and 2nd moves the truck forward the drive shaft and torque converter are all hooked up right...

I just have no ideas what else to do, can you all think of something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On similar situations like your the advise I have read on here is to make sure you connected the manual valve of the valve body to the shift linkage correctly. I don't have a picture to post but there is one on one of my other threads that a transmission person provided me. I will attempt to get it

the valve right in the bottom center?

mporrox3MZWuvmYmZklOd3A.jpg

I did, I got the valve body bolted down the first time and had the slider pin outside of the right spot, but then I re did it and made sure it was in...

Back