WudaCudaShuda

Reaction score
City, State
Standing Tall on the Quarterdeck
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4x4
2002 Explorer 4x4.

Front:
Jack front end. Remove tire. Remove 18mm bolts holding caliper bracket on. Suspend bracket and caliper with nylon tie or coat hanger so you don't damage the lines. Remove old rotor (they just wabble there when the tire is off, I just had the front tires off this weekend, so I don't project a problem). Spray and clean new rotors with brake cleaner. Place on hub. Squeeze brake piston to fit on new rotor. Place bracket back on, dab of lock tite on bolt threads, tighten.

Rear:
Jack back end. Remove tire. Remove 11mm bolts holding caliper. Hang calipers. Spray back of rotors with liquid wrench (they are "stuck on"), allow to sit. Bang with big hammer around edges. Remove old rotors, replace with new. Squeeze piston to fit on new rotor. Replace bracket with a little lock tite on threads, tighten.

Sound about right? A little nervous, first time I'm going to attempt this.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like your doing your research, good job.

When i did the fronts, you will also need to remove the 15mm (or 13mm??) bolts holding the caliper to the bracket. Also the 15mm are part of the slide pins, need to grease those suckers up with Disc brake grease, also any contact points. Also on the back side of the pads use anti-squeal (orange stuff). When was the last time those rotors came off? Look for a you-tube video, there was a good tip on using 2 bolts, 4 nuts, bunch of washers to get them off. Much better than BFH. Another tip is to use anti-seize on the lug nuts, rotor hat, back side of the wheel has helped further down the road (never use it on the mounting bolts or where you use lock-tite) just mating surfaces.

Rears: PIA. Your best bet is to use the 'knock out' and try and close the 'star' adjuster to retract the parking pads. When i pounded mine off the pad material came with the rotor. Chances are your replacing the parking shoes too.

In both F/R it will take you about 15min to get to the rotor, after that mileage will vary, they may come of with a quick hit or two, or in 1-2hours of pounding. .

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks, it does help.

I think I posted the video you're talking about a few weeks ago. I bought the parts just in case.

The rotors were resurfaced two years ago by an auto shop where we live. I'll do my best, and post my adventures when I'm done.

Thanks again.

The last two times I bought new rotors, the guys at the parts store told me NOT to use brake cleaner to get the cosmoline off. They said to use dishwahing liquid and water. Dawn is best. Just my .02
Tom

Back