TripMinder Message Center Install! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TripMinder Message Center Install!

I forgot about this thread since my steering box and valve covers crapped out.

I'll PM Nassau to see if he can send me the 93 PCM to see how it goes!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For 94s, PCM catch code UMP1 doesn't output the fuel flow signal. Other codes might.

A 93 PCM should swap if it is from a late 93 model that has a CMP sensor and EGR.

This of course refers to Explorer PCMs - Ranger PCMs are different and may not interchange without moving pins (repinning connector)

That doesn't sound like fun.

On a related note, CMP?

That doesn't sound like fun.

On a related note, CMP?

I was just wondering the same thing. How would one tell if it had CMP too?

As I understand it, all 94s and late 93s have a Cam Position Sensor (referred to as CMP for whatever reason*). It's located behind the upper intake manifold near the firewall. Think of it as where a distributor would go normally, instead it just reads cam position and tells the computer. If you have a CMP it'll stick up and have wires coming from it, if not there's a plug and only your oil pump drive shaft is in there.

However - if one looked into this more, there might be possibility that an earlier PCM could work with the CMP disconnected. I don't know how that theory of operation differs on the non-CMP models but perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Same for EGR, maybe it's possible to run an earlier PCM with EGR disabled.

Could you possibly help with locating a PCM pinout for the 1993 Ranger XLT 3.0 automatic? I'm nearing completion of the 89 Cougar Digital Instrument Cluster swap mod and want to be sure I connect/add a pin to the right one on my PCM.

I would be very grateful. I sure hope my PCM has output for fuel flow.

Thank you!

As I understand it, all 94s and late 93s have a Cam Position Sensor (referred to as CMP for whatever reason*). It's located behind the upper intake manifold near the firewall. Think of it as where a distributor would go normally, instead it just reads cam position and tells the computer. If you have a CMP it'll stick up and have wires coming from it, if not there's a plug and only your oil pump drive shaft is in there.

However - if one looked into this more, there might be possibility that an earlier PCM could work with the CMP disconnected. I don't know how that theory of operation differs on the non-CMP models but perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Same for EGR, maybe it's possible to run an earlier PCM with EGR disabled.

I would think you'd be swapping harnesses and everything. This would solve my auto ecu issue as well. :D Older manual 4.0 ecus seems to be easier to find.

Cam Position Sensors only if Distributor-Less...

I would think you'd be swapping harnesses and everything. This would solve my auto ecu issue as well. :D Older manual 4.0 ecus seems to be easier to find.

I believe Cam Position Sensors exist only on engines that are distributor-less, and that began in 1994 on 3.0 Rangers. (unsure of the 4.0) It lets the ignition system be in proper "sync" with the valve train. The actual distributor is connected via a gear to the back of the cam (physically synced) so there is no purpose for a Camshaft Position Sensor.

My 93 Ranger doesn't have one and I'm happy that it doesn't. Those things can wear and malfunction as well as come apart and wipe out the engine. In contrast, I've never heard of a GM engine having that problem so they must be doing something right.

Speaking of better engines, I might like a GM/Buick 3800 Series II transplanted into my Ranger in place of the 3.0. Here are some specs for comparison:

1995 GM Series II 3.8L (231 CI) 53.94 HP per liter (0.887 HP per cubic inch)
RWD version found in Camaro, Firebird, & Caprice
205 HP & 230 ib-ft torque Dry weight 392 lbs.

1993 Ford 3.0L (182 CI) 46.66 HP per liter (0.769 HP per cubic inch)
140 HP & 155 lb-ft. torque Dry weight 425 lbs.

In the swap 33 lb weight is lost, 65 more horses gained, and an additional 75 lb-ft of torque.

Since Ford copied the GM 3.8 closely it seems bell housing and transmission fitment options would be pretty good.

Somehow this ended up in the wrong place.

Ah, nothing like revisiting your own projects you never finished...

So I recently converted from an A4LD to M5OD and along with it I picked up a new ECU from a 94' manual with a different code...so MAYBE there is a chance this project can still work!

I'm going to throw the computer in this weekend and i'll report back on how things go. Here's hoping!

So is there any definitive proof that this woorks with 91-92 explorers? Pics and or video? I would love to do this mod.

Well cross catch code YAM1 off the list - that doesn't work either :( Tried a few different pin locations...nothing.

Man this mod turned out to be more frustrating then fun in the end. Looks great in the dash, but can't get the damn reading from the PCM.

Oh well, definitely enjoying my new M5OD though! :D

So is there any definitive proof that this woorks with 91-92 explorers? Pics and or video? I would love to do this mod.

Not so much definitive, but it was tested and working with a 91 PCM so it's possible that pin 34 is only borked on the 94 PCMs. For the cost of one of the TripMinders, I would just get it and try...less then $20 from a yard and that's all you need.

The issue is that Ford used all the pinout functionality on the 1994 EECIV, so you have to go back to the future, and use the old-fashioned carb Fox or Panther flow sensor which is also used in Bosch K jetronic European cars, like the Cologne V6 engined 1977 to 1985 Ford Granada/Scorpio/Euro Capri/Sierra. Here's one from an 89 Sierra

Trip-Comp.jpg

Not all Ford cars (international or US) were EECIV or even MCU, or even fuel injected, Ford way back in 1977 organised that common sensor to get fuel flow readings. I think one of the 335 engined Lincolns got it first. Then GM sourced it from the same supplier for its own 7 funtion trip computer. Fords TM-3 TripMinder just needs one of those from the fuel supply line, as per the 1978 2.8 Injection Granada.

The solution was found here

The Malaise area Tripminder MPG meters have had to move on up to OBDI. OBDII, and CFI/EFI logic. Since cheap oil made congress go soft on CAFE fuel economy from 1984 onward to date, the only options for carb guys are 30 dollar flow meters, and a pulse hookup to on some old 1981 to 1992 Fox or 1981 to 1989 Panther platforms, or some specific GM cars. They were clock interface devices, and worked exceptionally well. My friends 1982 Commodore SLE 3.3 had one, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/The_Monk/Junk/DSCF0451.jpg. Both Ford and GM used the electronic devices with carb engines using a secondary supplier, it had three lines, in and out and a tank return line or activated carbon arrester vapor line equipped fuel flow meter, and the fuel flow meter is still around as an old part on theses junked Panther, Fox and B body gm letter cars.

It was most common in the US as a E69Z-10D924-B Flow Sensor service replacement in Aerostar automatic 2.8's.

It had a TSB which checked the unit, so it should be around if you check. It wasn't the flow sensor, it could have been one of three things.

See "Article Technical Service Bulletin No. 86-6-30. Fuel Flow Sensor: All Aerostars Engine Hesitation/Stumble On Acceleration"

The 150 to 160 hp versions of the Bosch K Jetronic 2.8 Injection on 1978 to 1985 Euro Fords is the same, but listed as 61044440-1 in http://www.motomobil.com/3237,61044440-1.html

60971490.jpg

See http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?12113-Tripminder-in-a-carburated-merc on what the Fuel Flow Meter/Separator/Reg.Valve sensor is.

It's used all over the world from European and South African P100 Pickups too, and is available as item 6097149 and 6161181 for the Fuel Flow Meter Assembly on http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_part&s_id_part=14070&s_id_model=73

If you use the common 1978 to 1989 non CFI/EFI carb engines three line fuel flow meter from Ford or GM, you'll be able to replace the Pin 34 from an EECIV appliaction to run any Tripminder this way http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2009/tripminder.htm

Hope that helps out. Ford was way ahead of the field.

And some more pictures with clickable images...

There's plenty of info, and the Tripminder computer swap is really simple, no matter what the induction system, although injector pound per hour changes and tank "resistance to stage relationships mean you have to shop around for some parts.

6CrownVicorGrandMarquisTripminderComputerschematic.jpg

th_1994CrownVicTripminderadditionfrom1992-1.jpg

81to1986CrownVicorGrandMarquisTripminderComputerv2.jpg

th_1981to1986CrownVicTripminder.jpg

th_PreOBDICV_MGM_FoxfuelflowmeterforTripminder.jpg

th_XT5GMHoldenCommodoreTripminderFuelflowmeter.jpg

It has three names, and is often called

1. a vapor kit or regulator, as it has a bleed back or vapor return line, as well as
2. a flow sensor. I'm used to people not calling things by the correct name.
3. In Australia, it was sold as a hot fuel handling anti fuel vaporization kit on 4.2 and 5.0 Brock GM Holden Commodores.

It was historical references to it in 1982 Holden Dealer Team Group 3 Commodore with a 276 degree cam, 4-bbl Quadrajet 252 hp 5.0 V8 literature which tweaked the memory banks.

Its important the third line bleed back varies on carburettor application from a 59 thou hole (1.5 mm insert) on an itty bitty 115 bhp net 3.3liter engine to 27.5 thou hole (0.7 mm) on a 168 bhp net 5.0.

The key to those holes is that the whole part was designed for a certain net bhp level, and it ranged from an 85 hp Thunderbird 3.3 on the 1980-1982 Thunderbirds to well over 252 bhp net on those those Improved Performance Holden Dealer Team (HDT) Commodore and Statesman's (some had 268 hp, and with up to 300 hp in New Zealand versions) so by general back ground info, the Ford Tripminder flow sensor kit can cover a wide range of flow data.

I've not ben able to track down the bleed back and flow sensor differences for the Bosch CIS/K jetronic that the early European 2.8 V6's used, so on an injection instillation, you'll have to remove any bleedback restriction, and the standard EFI routing requirements apply. Based on the suppliers diagram for each, they are all the same casting with the same unions, and should take 80 psi unregulated.

Wow - that's some nice info there...solves the mystery of why this project would never work on a 93/94 PCM, but fine on 91/92. Hope it helps someone else in the future who may give this a shot.

My message center display gave out this Feb when we had a string of freezing days, so I cut an old broken cell Android phone in half and mounted it the MC location. Doesn't have that same glowing green 80's look that the MC had, but is still pretty useful.

20150830_142519.jpg

I so badly want to do this but I'm not having any luck finding a tripminder. Junkyard, nothing. Ebay, nothing. Craigslist, nothing. The correct years seem to be getting quite uncommon to find. :(

Yeah - they sure are a pain to find. I actually got mine from a guy off the Tbird forums with a wanted post - give it a shot

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back