• Register Today It's free!

Troubles in paradise...

erkres643

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have '92 4 door 4x4 manual transmission explorer. I moved to Denver, CO from Gettysburg, PA 3 months ago. Starting about 3 days ago, in first gear starting around 2500 rpm's my vehicle starts bucking like its about to die. As soon as I push in the clutch and shift into second gear it runs fine. Occasionally it will do the same thing, at the same rpm level, in second gear. Once i shift into 3rd gear it runs fine and continues to run correctly throughout that gear and through 4th and 5th gears. Some of the locals say that situation happens to lots of cars here due to the dry climate and hot weahter of this time of year. I think that is total BS cause there has to be a way to fix this problem. All of my fluids (engine oil, transmission oil, radiator, ect) are regularly checked and maintained. I have contacted many of my friends and family that are more mechanically inclined and they can't think of what the problem could be. Any ideas? Thanks for any help possible.

Yes it is BS, dry climate and altitude will effect the way it runs, but the computer can more then compensate for the lack of 02 up here.

Sounds to me like your old girl is in need of a tune up.
First thing to do is clean the MAS and reset the computer.

you can search on this forum on how to do that.
I can help you out, I am in Littleton but I don't have alot of extra time these days, but I can point you in the right direction.

Thanks for your info. I prefer to do most of the work myself on my vehicles so any info on the MAF senso cleaning would be great. I'll be sure to search the site for that as well. I was also gonna do some fuel injector cleaning and a fuel filter replacement. But I couldn't figure, if it was a fuel problem, why it would only do it in 1st and 2nd gear. A tune up is in order though since i'm closing in on the 100,000 mile mark. Thanks again!

Back