• Register Today It's free!

Truck died out

MadMike6786

Reaction score
City, State
hillsborough, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
:fire: so i was leaving my house last night to go to work and i only made it as far as the highschool down the street. when i put her in drive she bogged down and started to buck when i gave it some gas. if i eased the gas to only do like 25mph i was ok but when i took the turn into the highschool parkin lot i gave a lil 2 much gas and she stalled and i just rolled =( and then it wouldnt start up at all. i had been driving it around to during the day and it was fine. dont really understand. the guy who towed it thinks its the fuel pump and so did my dad. waz you guess think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would get a fuel pressure gauage and test the shrader valve (looks like a bike tire valve) on the fuel rail. This will tell you if your fuel pump and/or fuel pressure regulator is working.

It could be the pump - or regulator - or even the filter, or on Fords, sometimes the igniton module will also make it act up like that.

For a quick dirty test of the fuel psi, just get a cheapy tire guage (one of the round dial types) they will show you what you are running for psi on the fuel rail (schrader valve on there for testing). Make sure you get the fuel rail schrader - not the air conditioning one... That would make for a suprise... :eek:

(not just a little suprise either, if you tested the A/C line like that. Get that crap in your eyes, and you can cause temporary or permanent blindness, apparently.)

Don't be afraid to test the fuel line that way - it's no big deal, and you will not get sprayed... Just make sure it IS the fuel line.

The A/C lines are different...

The fuel rail runs to the injectors - and it is easy to spot.

Back