Truck keeps cranking with key off when cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck keeps cranking with key off when cold

scoarch

Reaction score
City, State
Vernon.b.c.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ex
Hi all.
i have a 93 exp with the 4.0 engine.
when i go to start it in the morning it will crank over and fire right up but then the starter keeps cranking. i shut off the key and it still cranks over. move the key to the run position and engine fires up but starter is still turning over. this will happen 2 or 3 times and then will quit , usually after burping the throttle a bit. once the truck has been ran it is good for the whole day. seems to only be in the morning that i have this problem.
any advice would be much appreciated. thanks to all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shut off the key and it still cranks over.

It's still trying to start after you shut off the key? If I misinterpreted this, then I would assume you need a new starter or if you can, re-build your current one because it seems your starter gear is not retracting back into the starter after turning/starting the flywheel gear. I would at least take the starter off and take it to the nearest place (I.E. Advanced Auto) and have them put it on their diagnostic machine. I just did that with mine last night, actually because of the issue seen in my thread here too. It's too easy to take off, bout 2 bolts, 2 cables, and 15 mins.

Here's ya some testing/removal instructions.

i was wondering if the bendix spring was screwed , but it still cranks with the key turned to the off position. and only when cold. i was told by the original owner that the starter was new. now i was wondering if it could be a faulty starter selinoid?

thanks for the reply and link

sounds like a bad solenoid (the one on the fender probably, not the starter)

sounds like a bad solenoid (the one on the fender probably, not the starter)

YEP, I had this very same issue on an older Ford Truck.... My money would be on solenoid too.... Its cheap so ruling it out would be definitely be where I'd start

Yup, I put a solenoid on "her" Explorer less than a week ago.. just for this problem.

We recently had this problem. It started to happen after the last trip to truckhaven. I figured it was dirt in the solenoid..

After a few days it stopped doing it.. then a few days later the starter didn't turn over and it acted like I had a short. Sure enough, the starter was then toast..

I replaced the starter (which has a solenoid on it, but different than the one on the fender) and the wire that melted.. All was fine after that..

At first I too thought it was the fender solenoid, until the starter shorted out.

~Mark

I had this happen on one that did this, and eventually I had to disconnect the battery to stop the starter from running. Turned out the shaft was bent, so the
gear couldn't return.

Sounds like two main possibilities, as mentioned. Start with the fender solenoid. Those are less than $20 and take 10 minutes to replace. If that doesn't do it, I'd replace the starter.

Another possibility is a bad battery cable, but somewhat less likely.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Back