• Register Today It's free!

Trunk Storage

CMcCormick

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Okay, so with a few of my parts arriving. I am now looking into some storage.

I have a firefighting Axe, a Collapsible shovel ect (I am a Firefighter so that is why I have that to begin with) So those would work great with my offroading in case I get stuck, but I don't just want them thrown into my trunk or back seat.

Does anyone have any good storage ideas, ties, or anything that would make them organized and possibly not sliding everywhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See I didn't want to build a wood box and put it into my truck, we have custom made shelves for our Cheifs vehicles and our Light Rescue Truck. They are Ford Expeditions. So with my I was thinking of taking straps that we have on our Heavy Rescue. Just wasn't sure if anyone had any out there ideas is all.

Just an idea for a temp solution. Walmart has $20 storage trunks they call trunk lockers. Its a black plastic box that fits nicely in the rear area. doesnt take up all the room. its probably 24" in height, 24" in depth, and about 3.5-4ft wide. Ill take some measurements, but I use mine for a bug out bag type of situation.

I have the HD plastic storage container filled with emergency / recovery gear in the back. I strap it down to the storage hooks on the floor to secure it.

The extinguisher is held down with the straps it came with on the cargo panel next to the rear side glass, as well as the Mag-lite. I imagine the axe can be done in the same fashion, just along the sides instead of on top.

The shovel and the Hi-lift jack are on the roof attached to the roof basket. I have a set of mounts made for holding objects such as an axe or shovel.

I'm trying to get my 01 ready for a trip to either Zion or Yosemite in March and a storage area is my next item to be fab'd up. I'm looking at something that will hold my tool kit, recovery straps and shackles, and an emergency kit and spot light. I don't 4-wheel all that often so I want it removable so I am going to fab a three compartment bin that will slide in the back between the wheel wells and up against the seat and mount in with some simple sheet metal screws that way I can pull it out when I am not using it. It's going to be roughly 41 3/4" long x 16" wide x 5" tall and have two 12" compartments and a 17 1/2" middle compartment. I'll post some pics when its done and roughly how much it cost if your interested

I can also do different compartment sizes as well

Back