truxx lift and tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

truxx lift and tires

wanna1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT
I am planning on installing a Truxx lift on my 2007 XLT V8 4WD Sport Trac. I would like to go with a more aggressive tire such as the Dick Cepek FCII. They make it in 265/70/17 and 285/70/17. I am planning on using a Granite Alloy GX1 17x8 wheel.
Will the 285 fit or do I need to stick with the 265?
Any other suggestions are welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on the offset of the wheel.

The offset is +45mm. My current wheels are the chrome 18 inch factory ones.

If the Granite Alloys you plan on using have a +45mm offset, you ought to use the 265s. If you really want 285s, get 0 or negative offset wheels.

I am now shopping for 0 degree offset 17" wheels.
Does anyone have any good or bad experiences that they are willing to share regarding my search?

I've got an '04 but you also might want to consider the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ radials. I have had them for the past 6000 miles and love them. It's an AT tire with an aggressive tread, and not too loud on the highway either. They have been awesome in snow, ice, and mud. If you can get them at a competitive price against the Cepeks it might be worth considering.

I saw a set of those and they looked good!
I'm trying to squeeze a 285/70/17 tire on my truck but may have to settle for 275/70/17 if I can't figure out a workable wheel solution.
Thanks for your input!

not sure how much it helps for the 2006-2010 models, but there are a few 2002-2005 owners on the forum who have 285's with a 2.25" front/1.75" rear strut spacer lift. Though I have heard that rubbing may or may not be an issue there. That size lift with a 3" body lift clears no problem with those trucks...though not sure if that is an option for the 2006-2010's.

Wheels offset is definitely important. I run 0 offset wheels and have had no rubbing issues with 265/75/16's except when I had just a 1.5 body lift. Just had to trim a tiny piece from the front bumper that extended into the front wheel wells.

I've ordered the Truxxx kit which should give me 2.5 front and 1.5 rear lift.
I guess I'll have to wait until the Truxxx kit is installed to check for clearance. I saw where one of the forum members was running 275/70/17s on his but I don't know what wheels he was using.
Maybe some others will chime in on this.

Back