Truxxx and 18" wheels (width??)

toad

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Blue Point, Ontario, CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac
Ok guys and gals, Ive beat the search to death here and want to be sure before I order tires for my new to me 2007 Sport Trac Limited with the stock 18" rim(seems to be more truxx uses here than the ST forum).

It seems the consensus is 32,s but its the width that worries me. Most have 17,s and use 265/70/17 which is real close to 265/65/18 which are both 10.43" wide. What I wanted was the 275/65/18 which is 10.83 wide and Im concerned about clearance to the upper control arm as right now I have 255/70/18s and at 10.04 its pretty tight already.

So Im only concerned about that clearance, trimming some plastic etc. doesn't bother me. Im looking at BFG AT,s as Ive had these on several trucks now.

So if you have any advice or have 18" with a Truxxx kit any help would be great.

Cheer, Todd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This wheel/tire calculator was the most valuable tool I used to put my wheel/tire combo together.

Here is some additional info that was useful to me and might help ya (or anyone else reading this thread :D).

07 Ford X Sport Trac Ltd. stock wheels...
diam: 18
width: 7.5
center bore: 70.5 (not certain of this number)
offset: 44mm
backspace: 6"

Most of the above info is actually stamped on the inside of the wheel.

I used the calculator and checked the stock setup against what you would like to do. It predicts that the new setup will be 0.8" closer to the control arm. I believe I measured approximately 0.8" to 1" of stock clearance on my ST, so you're combo might work, but I'd feel more comfortable with a narrower tire.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Thanks, yes that helps. i guess Im over thinking it to get a 1/2 inch bigger tire, but Im used to running 33.s so I guess I need to just go for the smaller ones and be safe.

Todd

I went down a wheel size to get the tire size (32") I wanted. I also sacrificed the BFG A/Ts for M/Ts, but they seem to be working great so far (and they have that aggressive look that I like). I wanted to go to a 33", but I didn't feel comfortable with the available widths, so I gave up on that idea.

265/65/R18s (31.7") should fit your truck without any problem if you plan to stick with the 18" stockers.

Can't wait to see yours lifted with the new treads.

This wheel/tire calculator was the most valuable tool I used to put my wheel/tire combo together.

Here is some additional info that was useful to me and might help ya (or anyone else reading this thread :D).

07 Ford X Sport Trac Ltd. stock wheels...
diam: 18
width: 7.5
center bore: 70.5 (not certain of this number)
offset: 44mm
backspace: 6"

Most of the above info is actually stamped on the inside of the wheel.

I used the calculator and checked the stock setup against what you would like to do. It predicts that the new setup will be 0.8" closer to the control arm. I believe I measured approximately 0.8" to 1" of stock clearance on my ST, so you're combo might work, but I'd feel more comfortable with a narrower tire.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

This should be a sticky! Thanks for the info!

Post a picture!

Back