• Register Today It's free!

Truxxx Lift Install Question

KPPCExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Kings Park, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6
I just got my Truxxx lift kit in and went to install it on my 2002 Explorer. I read that even though it was for the 2006+, it would work in the 2002-2005 Explorer with no modifications in the front and a little drilling in the rear. The kit requires that when you put the spacer on, you re-install the strut facing backwards, due to the fact that the upper bolts get relocated 180 degrees. On the bottom of my strut, there is a "tab"(for lack of better term) that points towards the rear of the truck. When I put the spacer on and rotate it, the tab points towards the front. Because it is facing the new direction, it sticks out too far in the front, thus not being able to go back far enough to mount in the lower control arm. Am I doing something wrong? Hopefully somebody who installed this kit before can chime in and tell me why the lower strut isn't fitting in the lower control arm. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My suggestion is call the lift kit experts @ Fat Bob's Garage, or email em. They are a local company to me, and have some of THE BEST customer service...
http://fatbobsgarage.com/

Phone: 801-395-2134

Are you talking about the bushing on the mounting hole of the strut? I did the Truxxx lift on mine and found it just took a lot of muscle to get it in place. I also noticed that twisting it in works a lot better than trying to bang it in. Hope this helps.

Yes, the bushing on the bottom mount. I find it will not fit behind the control arm to line with the hole, it catches on the bottom of the lower control arm because now it's facing a different direction. I found the further down I pushed on the control arm, the closer it came to going behind, but couldn't seem to get it to a point down far enough where it would slip behind. Do I just have to keep applying pressure to get it drop down far enough where it will fit behind?

Do you have the top of the strut mounted right now? If so take it off and focus on getting the bottom bolted on first, that way you have more control of the bottom mount. If you need to lower the control arm some more use a 2x4 and you can pry it lower.

I had the top bolts only attached to hold the struts up, but not bolted down tight. It just seemed like when I put the strut in, it wasn't possible to fit it in. I reinstalled the strut with no spacer because I need the explorer tomorrow, but will be trying this again over the weekend.

Yeah next time do the bottom first. Once you have the bottom in, its way easier to just rotate the arm up and bolt the top in.

Thanks for all the help MillerTime.

millertime, what exact Truxxx lift did you buy? i dont know what one to get, because there isn't one specifically for the 2002 ex.

millertime, what exact Truxxx lift did you buy? i dont know what one to get, because there isn't one specifically for the 2002 ex.
He used the truxxx part #102010. They are made for 06-10 explorers but you can adapt them, I believe by making some of the holes bigger, for our explorers.

Try unbolting the sway bar link from the lower control arm as well as disconnecting the upper ball joint from the spindle on the side you are working on and the lower control arm should drop down far enough with a little force that it should go right in.

Back