• Register Today It's free!

Truxxx Lift Kit Problems?

naminad

Reaction score
City, State
Guam
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
I am planning on installing a Truxxx Leveling Kit on my 2007 ford explorer sport trac and i was wondering if there is a downside when kit is installed?
problems i may face in the near future?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am planning on installing a Truxxx Leveling Kit on my 2007 ford explorer sport trac and i was wondering if there is a downside when kit is installed?
problems i may face in the near future?

I think I remember reading some about upper ball joint angle
and upper control that need to be replaced with longer ones.

not sure if it was 3rd or 4th gen, or both....

make sure you look into that.

:salute:

I was looking into this same issue, I'm selling my 4wheeler now and as soon as I do I'm planning on buying the Traxda (former Truxxx ) lift/lever kit and also a set of new custom upper control arms from BTF. I emailed Brandon on their website and he said they still make them for $575 shipped in the US.

Your upper balljoints will wear out faster and eventually fail. Replace them periodically, or get a set of uniball upper control arms from BTF fabrication and you won't have any problems.

Oh okay, but ready lift offers for the f150 and i want something that is from a good well known company, is btf fabrication known for making a good uniball control arm?
where can i buy the replacement uniball when it will be needed to change?

BTF Fabrication makes a good product. Lots of happy people here and dezertrangers.com.

The uniball is just a standard part you can get from polyperformance.com or other place that sells heim joints.

Have you previously purchased the uniball from them?
and do i also have to purchase the tire rod as well?

Have you previously purchased the uniball from them?
and do i also have to purchase the tire rod as well?

I haven't had to replace the uniball yet but when I do I'll probably order it from them. It's a pretty common size and I think most aftermarket UCAs use the same size so it really isnt hard to find. The stock tie rod ends are fine.

I haven't had to replace the uniball yet but when I do I'll probably order it from them. It's a pretty common size and I think most aftermarket UCAs use the same size so it really isnt hard to find. The stock tie rod ends are fine.

do you have pictures of your lifted ford sport trac please?
and how long will it be until i will have to change the factory ball joints?

do you have pictures of your lifted ford sport trac please?
and how long will it be until i will have to change the factory ball joints?

It's not a trac...it's a 4th Gen explorer, but the suspensions (and I believe the chassis also) are the same.

Click on the link at the bottom of this post to go to my registry where I have pics.

Theres a link in the first post to my front coilover shock conversion that probably has the most suspension pics. Here's one I just pulled that shows the BTF upper control arm:

51F878F2-orig.jpg

With the spacers installed I would inspect your factory balljoints regularly for play and change them out when they start to get loose. How quickly they wear out depends on how often and hard the suspension gets cycled, so it's hard to put a specific number on it.

It's not a trac...it's a 4th Gen explorer, but the suspensions (and I believe the chassis also) are the same.

Click on the link at the bottom of this post to go to my registry where I have pics.

Theres a link in the first post to my front coilover shock conversion that probably has the most suspension pics. Here's one I just pulled that shows the BTF upper control arm:

51F878F2-orig.jpg

With the spacers installed I would inspect your factory balljoints regularly for play and change them out when they start to get loose. How quickly they wear out depends on how often and hard the suspension gets cycled, so it's hard to put a specific number on it.

okay thank you, but i was hoping to see pictures of a lifted ford sport trac
i will most likely leave the factory control arms, but will the lift also put stress on the control arms?
also, ive noticed how the control arm will bend slightly more down, and when i drive, will the control arm touch the springs?
i noticed that when driving over bumps, the control arm looks like it will touch the springs?

okay thank you, but i was hoping to see pictures of a lifted ford sport trac
i will most likely leave the factory control arms, but will the lift also put stress on the control arms?
also, ive noticed how the control arm will bend slightly more down, and when i drive, will the control arm touch the springs?
i noticed that when driving over bumps, the control arm looks like it will touch the springs?

There is a sport trac picture thread in the 2007+ sport trac subforum..check there for pics of lifted tracs.

The downward angle is what stresses the ball joints...because they are operating constantly in a position they were not designed for. Usually what fails is the ball joint itself (basically it comes apart and the upper control arm separates from the steering knuckle). That doesn't happen with a uniball joint, so you won't have to worry about it.

On the 2006-2010 explorers and 07+ sport tracs, if you use the factory struts or a factory type replacement, I don't think you will have any issues with the upper control arm or spindle hitting the springs. Mainly this is a problem with the 2002-2005 explorers. If you get a longer travel shock like the rancho quicklift, you will have this issue on your sport trac.

There is a sport trac picture thread in the 2007+ sport trac subforum..check there for pics of lifted tracs.

The downward angle is what stresses the ball joints...because they are operating constantly in a position they were not designed for. Usually what fails is the ball joint itself (basically it comes apart and the upper control arm separates from the steering knuckle). That doesn't happen with a uniball joint, so you won't have to worry about it.

On the 2006-2010 explorers and 07+ sport tracs, if you use the factory struts or a factory type replacement, I don't think you will have any issues with the upper control arm or spindle hitting the springs. Mainly this is a problem with the 2002-2005 explorers. If you get a longer travel shock like the rancho quicklift, you will have this issue on your sport trac.

okay thank you, as of now, i am just going to try sticking to stock height first until it is time to lift it
so i am planning on putting some 20" rims, but what is the biggest tire size i can use, because i personally dont like those skinny tires.

If you use the search function, you will find a thread on tire sizes and lifts.

Does anyone tend to have pictures of the lower control arms bending slightly down with the Truxxx Lift Kit?

Back