• Register Today It's free!

Trying to buy a car!

GenGen88

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Probe
Im in search of a car/ truck and found myself overwhelmed by all these craigslist ads.
I came across a 1994 Ford Explorer 4-door. with 180,000 miles on it
My question is, HOW MANY MILES DO THESE ENGINES LAST FOR?!
-gEN :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are selling it for $1900 is this a good price?

My one has 200k miles and no problems.

If it good serviced etc it will last.

I buy rather 180k miles explorer than 50k miles.

Little miles on old vehicle is usually bad. Long stalling periods etc something... Stiff gaskets durings stands etc.

1900$ was mine on Finland about 185k miles so that price seems high but i dont know what is value on usa.

Usually usa cars are cheap there and Finland expensive.

idk if i would pay 1900 for it with that many miles unless its in immaculate shape, these trucks really dont have all that much resale value. the engine can last upwards of 300-350k miles from what i have heard if maintenance is well kept up with, the transmissions, not so much, usually with the automatic most people get around 140-160k iirc. mine has 160k and the overdrive went out a couple months ago, still been driving it just with OD off.

The engine on my wife's '92 was replaced at about 145k miles, even with regular oil and filter changes with full synthetic oil (we're the original owners). The engine on the '94 I bought used was rebuilt around 160-170k miles by the mechanic that I purchased it from (and at 235K it runs better than any other vehicle I've ever owned!) but he hauled firewood inside and with a trailer. Others I've seen have over 200k miles and are going strong. I wouldn't pay more than about $1k for a Gen1 regardless of condition unless it came with a warranty :).

I bought mine in Dec 2010 with 194k miles. I addressed coolant leaks (water pump and radiator) right off the bat. Changed spark plugs and wires at 195k Clutch and slave cylinder at 200k. Then nothing until 225k which is when I did the head gaskets and installed new heads. The old bat now has 232k.

The 4.0 can go for 500,000 miles if well maintained, and if the stock cylinder heads are replaced with aftermarket castings.

The transmissions usually last to 160K miles from the factory, so at 190K miles that trans is likely rebuilt. Adding an auxiliary transmission cooler and shift correction kits can extend the transmission's life spans.

The rest of these trucks are very reliable. The electronics and fuel injection systems are simple and robust, and all the components are built well and easy to work on.

These 4.0L's just need good plugs and oil changes and they'll last forever. I drove my 1993 to the junker and it STILL ran fine after sitting for 3 years. I love the OHV 4.0L. It's my hero.

Back