Trying to figure out what wire harness to buy?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to figure out what wire harness to buy??

fonicsmonkey

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
Hello, I was going to be installing a Pioneer avh-p6800dvd into my 2006 explorer. I'm trying to figure out which wire harness adapter to purchase. I bought the Metra 70-5520 adapter, then realized that I may have the audio system with a factory sub in the rear. The factory head unit is the standard 6 disc changer..no navigation or anything. The vehicle is a 2006 Explorer Limited...I did a speaker test by pressing the factory radio preset buttons 3 and 6 at the same time, and it said it tested the subwoofer. Am I going to need the Scosche FDSR 2005 - Up Ford Radio Replacement Interface instead of the Metra 70-5520 in order to get power to the factory sub? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I purchased the Metra ASWC interface to retain steering wheel controls, if I have to get the Scosche FDSR interface for the radio, will the Metra steering wheel control interface work with the Scosche FDSR radio interface?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see too many threads on upgrades on the gen IV Ex's, Might hit up the Crutchfield website for a faster answer...

I don't see too many threads on upgrades on the gen IV Ex's, Might hit up the Crutchfield website for a faster answer...

I tried them and best buy without any luck. When you do a search on Crutchfield..it says there are no items available in the wire harness category. Metra gives you the standard power/speaker harness for the '4.6L 4 door Standard Audio System'...For the 'Mach Audio system'(which is what I assume I have)...it lists no wire harness adapter...but has other accesories. Scosche seperates it the audio systems as 'with or without factory sub'...I concluded I have the factory sub...so when I search with that criteria..it offers up only that item I listed in my first post...its close to $80...I just don't want to buy it if it's not what I need...ya know...

dunno, Metra 70-5521 w/sub? Or Scosche FDK11B 2003-Up Select Ford Harness for Audiophile Sound Systems
You should have Phase II wiring.
Do you have RSE (rear DVD)?

dunno, Metra 70-5521 w/sub? Or Scosche FDK11B 2003-Up Select Ford Harness for Audiophile Sound Systems

No DVD system in the rear...I have the same radio as the one in this picture...
Step005.jpg

so I have to assume I have the 3 harness shown in this picture
Step006.jpg
...I have the 8" sub in the back right also...how do I know if I have RSE or is that the DVD system that comes stock?

Those kits should work.
Left one is for Pwer/Spearkers etc. . .
Middle one is for the Rear DVD but the wire slots are empty; the 2/3 are for Corp Bus, and VSS i think. . .
Right one is Sub, L/R, shield, 6v enable signal. Sub power/gnd comes from the harness near the sub.

Those kits should work.
Left one is for Pwer/Spearkers etc. . .
Middle one is for the Rear DVD but the wire slots are empty; the 2/3 are for Corp Bus, and VSS i think. . .
Right one is Sub, L/R, shield, 6v enable signal. Sub power/gnd comes from the harness near the sub.

The only kit that I can see that makes use of all 3 factory harness' (and has the ability to supply power to the factory sub) is the Scosche 2005 and up FDSR interface....is that the one you think I should try?...I notice on the Metra harness, there is not power supply for the Factory Sub. I'm just looking for opinions...not to hold anybody accountable :)

Its going to be a pretty long day doing this install. I just want to cross all my t's and dot all my i's before starting. I'm installing the Pioneer AVH-P6800DVD, with the Pioneer CD-BTB200 Bluetooth adapter as well as the Metra Axxes Steering Wheel Control Interface. I also got the Pioneer AVH parking brake hack relay to wire in.

I just re-read this post and I must've missed the first sentence...I just looked up those parts...and they do seem like they should work...Thank you for you help...I appreciate it...on a side note...The Scosche tech support almost had me buying FDK13B...which is NOT the right one...those boneheads!!

Back