Has anyone tried he Metra or Scosche radiodash kits | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone tried he Metra or Scosche radiodash kits

reserved50

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport Exploder
http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-5828CH

http://www.scosche.com/2011-up-ford-explorer-double-din-and-din-with-pocket-installation-kit-silver

Does the Scosche kit retain the outside temperature display in the one they provide?

The Metra kit is incomplete, priced lower and needs a radio harness adapter and steering wheel control kit also?

How were they compared to the factory head unit, any issues with buttons wearing out and how well does it work for the rear climate control etc

Scosche is on the left and Metra is on the right

Attachments

• Scosche-FD6201B-2.jpg
    Scosche-FD6201B-2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 99-5828ch.jpg
    99-5828ch.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 331

I have both, only tried the Schsche so far and will be try the metra next weekend.

My two weeks so far the Schsche

The climate/head unit burned out and would stay on after the car was turned off/volume was also stuck set to only 3 for all of week 1, so it was replaced via warranty (nice customer service though). The new working unit is glitchy to say the least. The left and right channels in the front are swapped, yes I connected the wires correctly. The steering wheel mute and media buttons never will work and lastly the volume can still be stuck and a random volume, but it only happened for a few hours once. This why I'm giving the metra a shot, even though its much uglier.

And to answer your questions
The Scosche kit does not retain the outside temperature display or time, it does work with the rear climate, but I don't have rear climate in mine.

The Metra kit is incomplete, the harness and steering wheel controls are sold separately, however this does allow you to program the steering wheel controls more to your liking.

Also neither kit comes with a radio antenna adaptor....just a heads up

Scosche kit sounds like a disaster, maybe it was just a rare occurrence, I hope the Metra works out much better

I have both, only tried the Schsche so far and will be try the metra next weekend.

My two weeks so far the Schsche

The climate/head unit burned out and would stay on after the car was turned off/volume was also stuck set to only 3 for all of week 1, so it was replaced via warranty (nice customer service though). The new working unit is glitchy to say the least. The left and right channels in the front are swapped, yes I connected the wires correctly. The steering wheel mute and media buttons never will work and lastly the volume can still be stuck and a random volume, but it only happened for a few hours once. This why I'm giving the metra a shot, even though its much uglier.

And to answer your questions
The Scosche kit does not retain the outside temperature display or time, it does work with the rear climate, but I don't have rear climate in mine.

The Metra kit is incomplete, the harness and steering wheel controls are sold separately, however this does allow you to program the steering wheel controls more to your liking.

Also neither kit comes with a radio antenna adaptor....just a heads up
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Please add the 'trim' level (Base, XLT etc) to your profile so it shows in the margin and we will know which model you are referring to in your posts. Thanks.

Peter

Back