Trying to fix some simple things on '96 explorer Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to fix some simple things on '96 explorer Sport?

hippyheart

Reaction score
City, State
West Plains, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
One, what is the spring button on the passenger side wall in the engine compartment that makes contact with the hood closed? I thought it was for the light to see the engine but when I start to close the hood the light goes off without even touching the switch. Two, front right marker light dead. Change bulbs, check fuses, nothing. All other lights work. I did notice two things. The owners before rewired the headlight over on that side and there is a plug that has two red wires attached that goes to nothing coming off another plug... See Picture...
Sport Engine 2.jpg
. Three, what is the light blue with white stripe wire coming out of the harness on the multifunction switch? It was broke so I rewired it thinking it might fix might washer pump or marker lamp but, it did neither. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Sport Engine 3.jpg
    Sport Engine 3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 287

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One, what is the spring button on the passenger side wall in the engine compartment that makes contact with the hood closed? I thought it was for the light to see the engine but when I start to close the hood the light goes off without even touching the switch. Two, front right marker light dead. Change bulbs, check fuses, nothing. All other lights work. I did notice two things. The owners before rewired the headlight over on that side and there is a plug that has two red wires attached that goes to nothing coming off another plug... See Picture...View attachment 68353. Three, what is the light blue with white stripe wire coming out of the harness on the multifunction switch? It was broke so I rewired it thinking it might fix might washer pump or marker lamp but, it did neither. Any suggestions?
The spring button is for the vehicle antitheft. If someone rewired things, it could be anything. I would unwrap the harness there and see what you have. Where did you get the drawing, what book/manual? It shows 4x4 solenoids I did not know about.

That answers one question! Thanks yavapaires! I attached the full diagram for you. I got it from the Ford dealership for free!

That's funny...I'm originally from Dewey, Ok! lol

The only wire coming off the multifunction switch with those colors is a White/ Lt. Blue (not the other way around as you stated) that goes to the right turn indicator,right front park/turn lamp, right rear park/turn lamp.

According to the Haynes manual that is. Hope this helps!

Keith

Thanks Keith! I don't know what it is but I reattached it. All of those lights worked before except for the side mark lamp. I work better when I'm foncused! lol

Okay, two problems solved! Number two was the marker light. Found the problem. Bad ground wire. So I fixed that real quick. If you ever have a blinker that blinks way too fast it could be a bulb but probably faulty ground! Now if I can find again where the front washer pump relay is....

Back