trying to put in a new cd player in 95 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trying to put in a new cd player in 95 explorer

bohngw

Reaction score
Alright so i have been trying to install an aftermarket cd player into my girlfriends 1995 Ford Explorer and i have connected the power, ignition, and ground wires and i have also connected the speaker wires. yet no sound....i was thinking that there is a factory amplifier that isnt getting any power so its not sending the audio to the speakers. i tried two different cd players thinking that the first cd player's audio output was fried but im getting the same "no sound" from both cd players. i need help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to either:

A. Buy an amp bypass harness

or

B. Wire the speakers directly to the aftermarket wire harness. You can not cut the harness and wire to it.

Yes you "should" buy the harness for the external amp... When I did mine I was is rush so I just removed the rear passenger panel and cut the connector off and wired them together completly bypassing the amp. If you do that there is a thread that explains it and show you the correct colors to match...should just get the harness, way easier!

If this car has the JBL system, the radio is located in the rear compartment next to the subwoofer. Many think this is an amp...it's actually the radio. You need a Metra 70-5601 harness. This brings the correct wiring you need back up to the dash...including the antenna lead. (if it's JBL, the antenna lead plugs into the radio in the rear...not at the dash) This will eliminate the radio and your rear console controls will no longer operate. You will also have to run a separate set of leads for the subwoofer if you want to keep it.

1997 Mountaineer speaker wiring

Pulled the stock FORD radio out, two different wire harness left in dash, one that has 6 wires on a 8 post configuration and one that has 9 wires on a 16 port configuration. Took the 6/8 configuration and found the power and ground and now my new radio has power, when I had the 9/16 configuration unpulled from the old radio no sound, thus I believe 8 of these 9 wires are for the four speakers (the ninth I verified is a ground). Problem is now which of the 8 wires on the 9/19 configuration go to which of the eight I have left on my new radio. Don't think buying a harness to plug into the 9/16 configuration in the car is right as the 9 that are wired do not match with the placement I have seen published on the web as to which would be left front (+) or left front (-) etc. Pulling the door panels off seem a pain to "glance at which two wires are there." I don't think there's any kind of amplifier in this vehicle. Any help would be really appreciated.

Pulled the stock FORD radio out, two different wire harness left in dash, one that has 6 wires on a 8 post configuration and one that has 9 wires on a 16 port configuration. Took the 6/8 configuration and found the power and ground and now my new radio has power, when I had the 9/16 configuration unpulled from the old radio no sound, thus I believe 8 of these 9 wires are for the four speakers (the ninth I verified is a ground). Problem is now which of the 8 wires on the 9/19 configuration go to which of the eight I have left on my new radio. Don't think buying a harness to plug into the 9/16 configuration in the car is right as the 9 that are wired do not match with the placement I have seen published on the web as to which would be left front (+) or left front (-) etc. Pulling the door panels off seem a pain to "glance at which two wires are there." I don't think there's any kind of amplifier in this vehicle. Any help would be really appreciated.

do you know if you have JBL or premium sound, the ext amp is behind the right quarter panel

Take a look in this thread.

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229656

There is a pic at the bottom from my '95 band it should help. This is with a standard 4 speakers system in my x. The blue white wire need to be tied in to get power to the amp in the premium systems.

edited to add that this is with an aftermarket wiring harness and even though it does not seem that there is an amp there is one some where on the premium systems.(radio controls in the rear). Normally it is located as mentioned in above post.

I've got the premium sound in my 97 Mountaineer

My original ford f77f-19b165-ca headunit supposedly ties in somehow with the premium amp (that I don't know how to access). In the dash I have a 1" x 5/8" black harness with 16 pins (nine wires connected) and the gray flat rectangular harness with the power/ground/ignition and the like pins.

With the Metra 70-5601, would i have to take out the interior panels and remove the carpet to run all of the wires from the rear back to the front?

i had this problem with my 97 when i installed my new cd/dvd player connect the blue and white wire in the harness and i got sound hope this helps

Back