Trying to track down F$^#%$ ticking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to track down F$^#%$ ticking

94xlt4x4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4x4 3.5L
Hey guys..
2000 XLT with the 302..ticking under load, you know the story here. I replaced the EGR tube with a Ford part (the solid tube one). I also replaced the passenger side manifold with another OE-style manifold, but the one I pulled off was still in pretty decent shape. I've retorqued the bolts and replaced the gasket twice now. Could it be the EGR valve? I'm at a loss as to what to try next and honestly pretty aggravated with this thing. Any help is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check where the exhaust manifold ties into the first set of cats. im asssuming that you've checked the driver's side manifold, right? just fyi, that egr tube has to be dead on, or it will leak. to find the leak, start the truck cold and run your hand by all the exhaust connections. you only have about a minute before those manifolds get really hot.

It's not the egr (it would throw a code if it was).

A few questions,
Does it only do this when warm or cold or both? Are you using regular or synthetic?
Aside from those they might be more expensive and extensive. Visually check everything out and ensure no loose components. Try look around the ac compressor. I had one that the clutch stuck and the bearing started out by making a ticking noise. Just go over every little thing, have some one rev it and see if you can get idea where it's coming from and let us know.

Whoa, forgot about this thread.

D/S manifold seems to be OK.

This happens warm or cold, though it seems to be quieter once the truck is warm. I'm running Castrol GTX conventional oil. It definitely seems to be coming from the passenger side somewhere, but I haven't quite figured out where. I had a hell of a time getting the tube seated in the EGR valve, maybe I'll take that off and make sure it's sealing properly.

Thanks for the replies guys.

My truck ticks sometimes- it sounds like a small exhaust leak or a lifter tick. It ended up being the HVAC fan... If I turn the HVAC off, the tick goes away. Maybe check that?

Seafoam it and find your exhaust leak.

Back