Tune Up Specs

JayTye4k

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
Hello All

I'm a proud, 2nd owner of a 1995 Ford Expolorer. With 138,000 miles on it, this car has been running like a champ and I've been extremely impressed with the performance. I bought it with 128,000 miles on it.

Since I've had it, I've done the usual oil changes (using oil for high milege vehicles), I've changed the plugs and wires, changed the Serpentine belt and pulley, fuel filter, Seafoamed the intake and gas tank, replaced the thermostat and sensor, also changed the IAC valve sensor in addition to the MAF sensor.

My question is this: I'm thinking about taking it in for some routine maintenence. What are some of the things that you experienced owners would recommend for high milege Explorers at this point? Transmission flush? Anything need to be lubed up? Shocks?

I do not want to spend a lot of money, however I want to keep my car in good condition.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seeing as how you hit most of what we would probably say, I'd check the condition of the tranny fluid and determine it off of that. Some advise against chaning it in a higher mileage vehicle but to each his own. When you replaced the tstat did you also flush the coolant as well? Lube the front end if you can, change the front and rear differential fluids if you can. Shock are a case basis, they maybe shot, prob. are but might not be either. Good luck and welcome to the board.

At that mileage, I would do a pan drop and filter change on the transmission. A filter and gasket are around $20, and you'll need 4 quarts of Mercon ATF ($10 at most). If you wanted to, while you had the pan off, install a drain plug in the pan so it makes things less messy next time.

Also, I would flush out the power steering system if the fluid looks bad. I don't know if a 95 takes Type F or Mercon in the P/S, but either way, just use a turkey baster or similar device to suck out the old fluid and put new in. I did that with 2 new quarts of ATF.

Seems like you are doing a good job with your new Explorer. You treat it well, and it will treat you well for many miles to come.

on my 05 with close to 160000 i have done everything mentioned above and getting ready to replace my egr valve and a bunch of old vacuum hoes.
i installed the drain and it is such a good thing to do autozone for $5.00...
also i got alot more than 4 quarts when i drained mine...
not done powersteering though...
ball joints next once i find some lift spindles.

Thank you all for the great advice! One other quick question that you guys may or may not be able to help me out with: My passenger side window rolls down excruciatingly slow! On warmer days it seems to roll down a bit faster..Any ideas how I can fix this small, yet annoying problem?

Thanks!

Sounds like the motor is prob. going out, the cold only aggrivates the problem, like a cold battery cranks slower.

The strange thing is that once I get it 1/4th of the way down, it starts coming down at regular speed.

hmmm could be something with the track? maybe some lube or something, take the door panel off if your feeling froggy and see what it looks like. you should be able to test the motor as well

What kind of lube can I use for this? I don't suppose my girlfriend would be too happy if she were to find her KY missing.

Back