tune up/ upgrades v8 5.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tune up/ upgrades v8 5.0

A 1mpg gain would take at least a year to pay for itself at $400. Modifying cars isn't a good way to save money, unless you are certain you will have the car for a lot longer than most people keep their cars, or if it is saving you money on or offset by the need to do repairs, like for instance, replacing your tires with low rolling resistance tires when it is time to change tires.

But yeah. Cars are a horrible investment. You will never get your money back or save money on them. Modifying them is an even worse investment. Luckily, I'm a crappy investor, so I keep modifying them, but for me, it's a hobby. It's less of a question of whether the parts are a good investment. It is more of a question of what else I would be spending that money on.

A 1mpg gain would take at least a year to pay for itself at $400. Modifying cars isn't a good way to save money, unless you are certain you will have the car for a lot longer than most people keep their cars, or if it is saving you money on or offset by the need to do repairs, like for instance, replacing your tires with low rolling resistance tires when it is time to change tires.

But yeah. Cars are a horrible investment. You will never get your money back or save money on them. Modifying them is an even worse investment. Luckily, I'm a crappy investor, so I keep modifying them, but for me, it's a hobby. It's less of a question of whether the parts are a good investment. It is more of a question of what else I would be spending that money on.

I think you just said it all there FIND.

I think you just said it all there FIND.

Like I inferred though, luckily I am stupid and a horrible investor, so I keep modifying my cars.:D

So would I need a $400 Tuner for a $40 K&N or $60 aftermarket muffler on these vehicles? Are you saying gaining an 1/8th of a hp over the 1/2 I gained with those mods make the tuner worth while over the 1mpg and 5-10hp over stock?

Are you saying it's worthwhile then?

you can bolt on any mod (not forced induction) without having the tuner.

but anything that changes the airflow into or out of the motor makes a difference with the tune.

i'd wait to get a tuner and a custom tune until i did an intake and exhaust. doing a custom tune with stock isn't going to get you much, but there is a difference.

Back