Tunes for the N/A 3.5L Explorers | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tunes for the N/A 3.5L Explorers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered my explorer 3.5 (2018) with out turbos.:( Now I wish I had the turbos. What can be done without buying a new one or adding turbo. Does anyone make a computer chip for a 3.5 na v6 ? I did install a K&N air filter. I haven't tried using premium fuel. A super charger could be as much as turbos. Not sure on that but it won't be cheap. As some one said How $$$ fast do you want to go. :burnout:

I ordered my explorer 3.5 (2018) with out turbos.:( Now I wish I had the turbos. What can be done without buying a new one or adding turbo. Does anyone make a computer chip for a 3.5 na v6 ? I did install a K&N air filter. I haven't tried using premium fuel. A super charger could be as much as turbos. Not sure on that but it won't be cheap. As some one said How $$$ fast do you want to go. :burnout:
I have a non-turbo Explorer. I would recommend an SSI Performance 91 octane tune in combination with your K/N Cold Air Intake.
That is probably the only performance upgrades that will matter. It's not going to make it as fast as the turbo but I notice a difference.

^^ Your thread was merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature.

Peter

I've had my Livernoise 91 oct. Performance tune in my 17 Explorer 3.5 NA, for a year now, very happy with the tune. avg. mpg 22.0+, was in the 20's before.
Since added an AFE stage 2 cai and Pedal Commander.

I've had my Livernoise 91 oct. Performance tune in my 17 Explorer 3.5 NA, for a year now, very happy with the tune. avg. mpg 22.0+, was in the 20's before.
Since added an AFE stage 2 cai and Pedal Commander.
What kind of driving do you do and get that mpg?

The 3.5L TiVCT Explorer's peak gains are over 33 wheel HP and 42 wheel TQ on 93 octane. At some points in the RPM range more. Even on 87 octane the vehicle makes a night and day difference in overall drivability and a much more enjoyable driving experience.

The n/a Explorer with a performance tune gets close to a stock Explorer Sport's HP. Our tuning gives you the best of both worlds which is what makes customers fall in love with their vehicles all over again.

When you drive casual it will drive as tame as it would stock, yet have better fuel economy and a much more confident feeling engine / transmission. Then when you prefer to drive aggressive, it will throw you back in the seat and have a much more precise positive shift from one gear to the next.

Check out the video below to see the vehicle in action and also the official dyno results as well.

View attachment 82659

Something smells like old fish here....212 at the engine on stock tune? Accounting for 20% drivetrain loss that’s only 265 at the engine. These are rated 295 stock....

Something smells like old fish here....212 at the engine on stock tune? Accounting for 20% drivetrain loss that’s only 265 at the engine. These are rated 295 stock....
I am wondering this too as I thought the 3.5L NA was 290-295 horsepower stock. I have been thinking about getting a tuner for awhile now until I stum bled on your reply regarding the 212 stock per the dyno report.

I am wondering this too as I thought the 3.5L NA was 290-295 horsepower stock. I have been thinking about getting a tuner for awhile now until I stum bled on your reply regarding the 212 stock per the dyno report.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Everything I have read says that the stock 3.5 NA just doesn't tune up all that well and the end results just don't justify the cost of the tune. Now maybe if you do a K&N and somehow port that for true cold air versus the engine air, and then change your exhaust to Gibson or similar but just a tune? I'd love to hear some great results from someone. I know I commute 80m/day and run about 22mpg at 70, have a K&N, with, for the most part, cold air going to it via some additions I did, but really wonder what else the tune would really give that could be measured objectively?

Would love to hear more feedback from anyone who has bought this for their NA 3.5 explorer. Been thinking about it for awhile but at $450 I want to make sure its worth it. I will not be hot rodding around or anything just want a little more get up and go around town.

I am looking at get a tuner that plugs into the OBD II port to improve my horsepower and torque for towing. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good brand that actually works? I have a 2014 ford explorer limited 4 wheel drive with the 3.5L non turbo.

I am looking at get a tuner that plugs into the OBD II port to improve my horsepower and torque for towing. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good brand that actually works? I have a 2014 ford explorer limited 4 wheel drive with the 3.5L non turbo.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

Well, we don't "chip" anymore, that's old school, LOL. It's all about the tune. Yes, you could try SSi, but....be mindful, even though I personally had positive dealings with Shawn, they have a bit of a checkered past and their tuning methods are dubious...

Cream of the crop is Brad @ AJPTurbo, Torrie @ Unleashed and Matt @ Gearhead. Theres a few others, 5Star, BrewCity Boost to name a few...

Whatever you do, stay FAR, FAR AWAY from @Livernois !!!!

Livernois is one of the more popular tunes here and they are also a site Vendor supporting the Forum. Many members have been very happy with not only the tune but for the after-sales support they have received. Livernois tune experience You can contact them here https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/conversations/add?to=Livernois

Peter

Livernois is one of the more popular tunes here and they are also a site Vendor supporting the Forum. Many members have been very happy with not only the tune but for the after-sales support they have received. Livernois tune experience You can contact them here https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/conversations/add?to=Livernois

Peter

No thanks...I wouldn't give that clown show of a shop a dime of my money, and if the members here knew what was good for them, they'd do the same. Hey people can spend the money they want, where they want, I am simply here to educate people on their choices. They ARE NOT the only game in town nor are they a very good game. I can give a nice laundry list of reasons why, but won't do it out in the open, PM me if you care to educate yourselves...

I say all this because there are a large number of good folks on this forum that are not fully aware of the depth of the ecoboost scene, (especially when it comes to our 3.5L transverse version of it) and will "drink the kool-aid" that @Livernois pushes, not knowing any better. I know I sure did, but have long ago dropped them after learning more about them.

But don't take my word for it...just look a bit deeper for yourselves.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone done an 87 octane tune? Is there any point to it? I'm not necessarily worried about performance, but I'd like to see better gas mileage. I'd consider 89 if it offset the 30-50 cent increased cost.

Back